Can moving too much kill fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearymore

Reaction score
I have a beer that has quit at about 1.020. It fermented quite actively for about a day and a half and then the bubbling stopped. As it happened, this was when I had to move the carboy a couple of times between rooms (we had a party and needed it out of the way). I was using a highly flocculent yeast and fermcap-s foam inhibitor. After one of the moves, I noticed the krausen had dropped (it was thin to begin with because of the fermcap). I agitated the carboy to get the yeast back in suspension a couple of times but no return of fermentation.

I'm inclined to live with an FG or 1.020 or 1.019 and transfer the beer to secondary. Still, I'm wondering if the moves stopped active fermentation prematurely.

To answer the thread title: no. If anything, it can help by getting the yeast back into suspension.

As to your current situation, try rousing the yeast (yet more moving) and raising the temperature to ~72˚. If FG stays steady for three days running, your done and can transfer to secondary (if you use a secondary. I can't be bothered, I haven't found it makes a difference b/w 1-2-3 and 3-3).

What kind of yeast was it? Lately lots of people have been having problems with Munton's crapping out around 1.020.

What kind of yeast was it? Lately lots of people have been having problems with Munton's crapping out around 1.020.

Add my name to that list. My new brew started quickly and ran well for about 5-8 hours then basically quit (Muntons). I'm new to this but I know enough to know this ain't right.

Haven't checked the current SG but I will now....

Is there anything one can do with 5 gallons of wort that failed to launch?

Would adding more yeast be acceptable?

Thanks,

Put my name on the list too. 6.6 lbs of Muntons Pale Ale quit on me last week with wyeast yeasts. Gravity clocks in at a steady 1.018. Been in secondary ferment for one week, will take gravity then and bottle. I'll open one every week to see if carbonation is too violent.
good luck!

Add my name to that list. My new brew started quickly and ran well for about 5-8 hours then basically quit (Muntons). I'm new to this but I know enough to know this ain't right.

Haven't checked the current SG but I will now....

Is there anything one can do with 5 gallons of wort that failed to launch?

Would adding more yeast be acceptable?

Thanks,

Well the SG was 1.018 so I guess I'm stuck there. Trying to get to around 1.009 so I'll let it ride and see what happens.

More then likely you are having procedural problems, there is also a less likely chance the yeast was treated poorly before you recieved, or the malt extract was very high in dextrins....

but no matter what the cause---

The chances of Wyeast or White labs or Brek tek or whoomever producing a package of yeast of poor quality is next to zero...

If the yeast was dry, check the expiration date, and also realize not re-hydrating yeast at the right temperature or agitating it prematurely will decrease viability dramatically and often leads to high final gravities even after what seemed to be a nice, vigorous, and quick start....

If the yeast was dry, check the expiration date, and also realize not re-hydrating yeast at the right temperature or agitating it prematurely will decrease viability dramatically and often leads to high final gravities even after what seemed to be a nice, vigorous, and quick start....

Can you tell me more about "agitating it prematurely". I added my Munton's dry yeast to 1/2 cup of 70 degree water and permitted it to set about 20 minutes before shaking the mixture. Is this a problem?

I generally permit liquid yeast to warm to room temperature first and then shake to disperse things. Is this a problem?

Thanks,

Back