Can keg of beer be stored outside of fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revrand65

Reaction score
Well here is my question.my keggerater will hold 4 cornies..but it's kind of tight.can i store a keg of home brew in a room thats maybe 70 degrees carbonated and still under pressure..and for how long could i do this..just a thought..i'm also a brewing junkie that just started kegging and what good is a carboy that doesn't have beer in it..i quit brewing for a few years so it ended up full of coins ...has anyone tryed to lift one of these full of metal..i'm a big guy and i allmost lost a testicle trying to move it.:rockin:

a) get the coins out of that carboy before you try and move it again. The weight is going to put huge stresses on the structure and a break of that glass could cause you a significant injury.

b) storing outside the fridge is possible but storage at 70 degrees for long periods is definitively suboptimal and the beer will age more rapidly. Also, any left over yeasties that have survived the alcohol thus far will continue to ferment.

However, beer maintained at closer to 60 degrees or less (outside a fridge) can be stored for long periods of time in a keg.

Wow take all those coins, cash 'em in, and buy lots of cool brewing stuff! there mus be a LOT of ching in there!:rockin:

revrand65 said:
Well here is my question.my keggerater will hold 4 cornies..but it's kind of tight.can i store a keg of home brew in a room thats maybe 70 degrees carbonated and still under pressure..and for how long could i do this..just a thought..i'm also a brewing junkie that just started kegging and what good is a carboy that doesn't have beer in it..i quit brewing for a few years so it ended up full of coins ...has anyone tryed to lift one of these full of metal..i'm a big guy and i allmost lost a testicle trying to move it.:rockin:

No problem storing/conditioning in a keg at room temp, it's the same as if you did with bottles. Just don't let it get too warm. And you don't have to worry about light skunking it up. Take the change out of the carboy and buy some HB ingredients. Your ball will thank you.

I'd say 3-4 months would be the limit for most ales at 70F. But, barleywines and heavy ciders seem to be fine even after 18 months. They keep changing, but nothing negative so far.

Latest posts

Back