Can it even be done? Measuring Specific Gravity using Arduino or Raspberry Pi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some of these design ideas make a person just design a system that fills a chamber on the side of the fermenter with a hydrometer in it, optically looks at it, flushes with water and rinses it with sanitizer every 30 minutes... a raspberry pi with camera could do this easy...

Time to come out from lurking mode I suppose! I did an experiment a while back using a differential pressure sensor:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SSCDRRN025MDAA3/480-3660-ND/2704715

.. and a couple of tubes going in to a very ad-hoc-and-experimental fermentor vessel:

This is the result:

The wort OG was 1.043, and it ended at 1.018 (it was fermented in a too cold basement with too little WLP400, which is probably why it stopped early. No oxygen added or shaking wort either..) The values on the graph is voltage * 1000 so there is a 300 mV difference from start to finish.
Hello, this project is still in progress?

Lookup George on YouTube . He’s a distiller but developed a talking hydrometer with a pi. I think it data logs as well.

Back