Can I use this as a Grain Mill Motor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDAK

Reaction score
20201110_104602.jpg

Can anyone tell me if these specs are adequate to use this for a 2 roller Monster Mill crusher? Saw it in a thrift store but no idea if it is suitable.

Looks like a 90W 1660rpm motor. Neither powerful enough or slow enough for a Monster Mill 2 roller crusher. I was looking at a couple of options and in order to get a ~1700rpm motor to the speed needed (~200rpm) it would take one large and one small pulley (set to the correct items to reduce the rpm at the crusher shaft).

I ended up just getting the one Monster Mill offers and lifted my 2 roller MM to align the shafts properly to use the coupler they offer/sell. IIRC it was about a 2.5" lift for the mill.
IMG_20200521_171515.jpg

I built the mobile cart that it's setup on as well. Welded some angle iron for the frame and then modified an aluminum plate I had to mount everything. It works pissah.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FxsWrz1caSVSsaod9

You can get away with a lot less motor if you want to be thrifty. I bought this little guy off amazon(~$35 when i got it) after doing some quick calcs to figure out how much torque is needed to turn a homebrew size mill(I have the cereal killer). A simple coupler and a bracket and youre milling. This one also requires a 12v or 24V power supply(I used a laptop supply).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K8LSJ9K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
To answer your original question, yes it will most likely work but you will need about a 5 to 1 pulley ratio to get the correct speed and proper torque to mill.

Last edited:
@JDAK What diameter rollers do you have in your MM?? I got the 2" (hardened steel) rollers. Which is probably why I need MOAR TORQUE!! In years past I would use my DeWalt 18v hammer drill to turn it. I decided I'm getting too old for that crap. Plus I wanted to mount the mill to a cart/stand. So the motor made sense. I did my research and to get a motor with the power level needed (IMO getting one that's "good enough" is not good enough). I could have spend a bit less and use the pulleys (as mentioned) but that would have made things a LOT more difficult. At least as far as mounting everything and getting it running without issue. With the direct, inline, connecting of the shafts, there's zero side load/force affecting either one. That can cause issues down the road.

I forget how many thousands of pounds my mill is rated for (useful life span) but I doubt I'll ever hit that point. Well, unless I open an actual brewery and am crushing hundreds of pounds of grain a week. At that point, I'll probably get something more robust/brewery level and keep this one for recipe creations.

I got a motor out of an old dryer to run my grain mill, small pulley on the motor and large pulley on my grain mill and it works just fine. forget the actual specs on the motor but if you do the math on the pulleys you can pretty well get any motor to run at the rpm needed. sorry i dont have the specifics off hand it has been awhile but somewhere out there is a simple equation to get the pulley size you need to get the right rpm.

For the amount of effort and money it takes to retrofit homebrew grain mills that crush 20 to 50 lbs of grain, I don't understand why anyone would do it. Buy a 1/2" chuck variable speed corded drill that can be used for many other things besides grain crushing.

Reach out to Monster Mill to see what they say. Maybe it just needs a good servicing, or something easy.

actually i have a JSP. and they've since gone out of business. it still works, it just looses grip here and there, and i have to nudge the free roller with a pairing knife to get it to catch.

actually i have a JSP. and they've since gone out of business. it still works, it just looses grip here and there, and i have to nudge the free roller with a pairing knife to get it to catch.
You might want to see what the shafts are spinning on. Sounds like worn bushings/bearings. Might not take that much to replace and get it back to 100%.

There's absolutely NO way in any of the Hells I'd use my paring knife anywhere NEAR my barley crusher. One, I don't have cheap knives. Two, I don't want any blade steel getting into my grain (if it catches and gets pulled into the rollers). Hardened steel rollers WILL do a number on many things.

I'm trying to recall the email/conversation I had with the man from Monster before I made the purchase. Most people went with the stainless rollers. The hardened steel rollers have a MUCH higher pound rating (as in how many pounds will go through it before you have an issue). I believe the hardened rollers are several times more for use span. To the tune of tens of thousands of pounds of grain without issue.

Sounds like worn bushings/bearings. Might not take that much to replace and get it back to 100%.

can't see the adjustable free roller that doesn't catch. but the driven one has a thin, what i'd describe as tube washer....? so bushing?

but to keep this thread on topic. i use a harbor freight drill, 1/2" with a discontinued speed lock trigger, permentaly mounted to my mill.

i did buy a motor from a garage sale once, but it spins at something like 3,000 RPM. and didn't know at the time they sell the pulleys at the local ACE here i would have needed.

Get a Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" which has a 250RPM setting that is ideal for crushing. I bought mine for $100 on eBay. I use it with my MM Pro 3. The MM with 2" rollers is a beast and was too much for my old drill, and I found it too hard to control the speed down to ~200 RPM using the trigger on most drills. This is a great setup that does not require additional gearing or pullies. Now I just flip a switch and let 'er crush.

Attachments

• mm+hh.png
    mm+hh.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Back