Can I use Crisco as keg lube??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhonda00

Reaction score
Hi, I'm getting a small leak from my keg and I don't have keg lube nor does my LHBS. Can I use crisco?

yeah it will work fine.
but not forever ,the fat will go racid in a few months
but if you wipe it off and reapply each time you wil be ok.
keg lube is mineral oil jelly
poly saturated fats dont go bad thats why they like to use them in makeing food
makes for a long self life.

100% pure unscented petroleum jelly (Vaseline) would be my choice over Crisco. If you have to use Crisco then clean it off first chance you get. Rancid=maggots . . . I still get the creeps from them crawling about my garage from an uncleaned mash tun.

Go to any hardware store and pickup a vial of silicone grease in the plumbing department. Silicone based products are better for rubber than petroleum products.

037155886937.jpg

Go to any hardware store and pickup a vial of silicone grease in the plumbing department. Silicone based products are better for rubber than petroleum products.

037155886937.jpg

Awesome, but does it have any flavor?

Thanks for the post about silicone grease. I have some of that around the house from when I fixed my kitchen faucet and I wasn't sure if it was safe to use or not.

Ha, are you being serious? It's grease designed for use on water faucet connections and general plumbing.

But, I suppose a cherry flavor would be nice. :D

I wasn't wondering if it tasted like lemon-lime, I wanted to know if it had a chemical flavor or something. I would think that something tastes just like it smells and when I'm practically putting that grease in something I worked hard on making taste good I become skeptical about using it. I know it's for kitchen sinks, but I've never smelt it.

I use the Gunk brand plumbers silicone . I have never tasted it I don't even recall it having an odor. But You use so little of it I can't see it hurting the beer

I wasn't wondering if it tasted like lemon-lime, I wanted to know if it had a chemical flavor or something. I would think that something tastes just like it smells and when I'm practically putting that grease in something I worked hard on making taste good I become skeptical about using it. I know it's for kitchen sinks, but I've never smelt it.

You aren't mixing this into your beer are you? I hope you are just using it to slick up the seals. Or worst case packing it into the voids of a closed keg.

I wasn't wondering if it tasted like lemon-lime, I wanted to know if it had a chemical flavor or something.

Ya, I got that. ;) I wouldn't recommend plumber's silicone grease unless I've used it and know it works well.

Back