Can I use co2 manifold for liquid distribution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattD93

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm working on designing a semi-automated HERMS system for small batches (3 gallons). The system will ideally only use one pump (I'll be using my stir plate to circulate heat in the HLT and firing from a heatstick).

I'd like to be able to use my old co2 manifold to distribute the pump output to each vessel (hlt coil/sparge assembly, mash tun, Brew kettle) by opening only the destination that I want and closing the other valves. Is there anything in the design of the manifold that would make that not work/be a bad idea?

I don't know what your manifold looks like.
Take it apart and clean it well. Look in it and make sure there is no tiny orifices in it that are designed to reduce flow.
It don't take much to clog small pores like this. It will likely be made out of brass, you could pickup some metallic flavor from it if your PH drops pretty low in the cider range.
If it has check valves on it you will probably want to change these to standard valves. These will be diffiicult to clean well between brews.

Are you thinking of using a gas manifold with the little brass or chrome (check) valves for wort? I don't think the passages in those valves are wide enough, they're made for gas!

The aluminum body manifolds I have had huge chunks of (cutting) grease inside them, and they're full of tight spots and threads that are impossible to clean and sanitize. The threads in the manifold itself that holds the valves are only 2 turns.

It's much better to build your own all stainless steel manifold from T-fittings, nipples, 3-piece ball valves that can be taken apart, cleaned and sanitized, and other SS fittings (like camlocks).

It's much better to build your own all stainless steel manifold from T-fittings, nipples, 3-piece ball valves that can be taken apart, cleaned and sanitized, and other SS fittings (like camlocks).

Yup, it would be super easy to build, and not all that expensive. You could even just build one out of copper if you are looking to lowering the overall cost.

Back