Can I use Amylase enzyme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestbeekeeper

Reaction score
I planted an orchard with a mix of high-sugar and tart apple varieties, some trees are beginning to produce while other trees are not ready yet. The last 2 years I have been anxiously watching and tracking the starch-to-sugar profile of these apples using the iodine test. All apples start with 100% starch, and gradually shift to sugar. But it seems that before any of them truly reach 90% sugar, the apples are dropping on the ground.

If I were to harvest when they are generally 50 to 60% sugar and to then use Amylase enzyme on the juice to convert starch to sugar, before adding yeast, would this work well?

This year, I think I could harvest around 20 bushels of apples if I harvest them at 50 - 60% sugar. But if I try to wait for 90%, I might only get a couple bushels, as most of the apples will have dropped.

Interesting question. In theory it might do something useful. Only one way to know for sure. Split a batch into two fermenters, and use amylase in one half and don't use it in the other. Ferment them both out and see how the results taste.

Cheers.

Back