Can I Turn Sprouted (Malted) Spelt Berries into Spelt Base Malt (???)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
Spelt is a once popular form of wheat that fell out of favor about 150 years ago due to its having a husk, and thereby being more difficult and costly to process than more common wheat varieties. It is currently making a big comeback. It is nuttier and (to me at least) far more flavorful than conventional wheat. I love spelt bread, so I started wondering if I can make a base malt from readily available sprouted spelt berries. The local Amish sell them. They are de-chitted (the sprout tales have been removed) and dry.

If I purchase sprouted spelt berries and kiln them in my oven at 180 degrees F. for 2-3 hours, will I create a low Lovibond spelt base malt thereby?

PS: The spelt kernel is larger than a wheat kernel, so it may grind right along side barley more uniformly than wheat will.

EDIT: I'm well aware that I can purchase Weyerman spelt malt, but sometimes I like to try and make things myself.

Last edited:
I may be better served in creating a base spelt malt by heating to only 120 degrees F. and holding it there for 24 hours. A food dehydrator should be capable of doing this.

If they are already malted and dried I'm not certain you need to do anything more to them unless you want more flavor and/or color from them.

Best Malz and Weyermann produce commercial spelt malt, I'm not sure what the difference would be between those examples and your amish sprouted spelt.
Thanks for the post, I'm planning on brewing an all wheat porter, and I think I'll include some malted or raw spelt.

If they are already malted and dried I'm not certain you need to do anything more to them unless you want more flavor and/or color from them.

I see your point. The kilning to base malt level is likely already accomplished.

Back