Can I substitute Crystal 45 for Crystal 40?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not stupid. Generally any crystal/caramel within 10L will serve, except at the very low end of the scale. Some recipes give a range, like 40-50L.

Thanks, it's for a clone but I don't really care about it looking/tasting exactly the same, as I'm in Canada and can't get the original anyway ;)

crystals from one maltsters to another's flavor profile changes, subtle, but noticeable.
when you see 35L 45L etc., they are euro/German malting's, Americans go by tens evenly.

malts like Maris Otter pale malt from Baird's and Maris Otter pale malt from Fawcett are different flavor profiles although they are the same cultivar and malted as pale malt.

maltsters products differ in flavor profiles, so once you find the one you like, stick with the same malts.

you'll see recipes that call for a certain brand name of malt. when you come across one of those, if possible, use that brand malt, because the outcome Will be different using another brands malt substitute

Back