Can I still pitch yeast into wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
So I brewed a pale ale 1g recipe last night. Made it through the boil, put the wort in the fridge with the top on cracked to cool. Then I woke up this morning. If I let it get back up to say 70 degrees and pitch the dry yeast, would it still be ok?? Or just through it???

I'm no expert at brewing but here is my opinion, if kept covered and sterile, covered being the only way I could see it staying sterile; then follow the instructions on the yeast pack and pitch away.

Agree with mash-mongrel. As long as there's a good chance it was not infected in the fridge, just warm it to pitching temps and go for it.

I do this regularly when my starter isn't ready to pitch. I just let everything sit in the fermenter at temperature until the yeast is ready and then add fermcap, aerate and pitch. No problem.

I definitely wouldn't throw it away. If nothing else, there's still something to learn about the fermentation process. Take careful note of the smells produced while it ferments. They will be a key indicator to your, soon to be beer's health.

If your refrigerator is super clean, there's a chance that it will be fine. unfortunately, the way a fridge cycles air with a fan, if you left the lid ajar, any bacteria in the air is now in your wort. I would suggest you don't do it this way again. Perhaps someone with a microbiology background can further comment.

From what I have read, there is nothing that will survive in your beer that can harm you. If it smells bad, it will probably taste bad too. After the fermentation has completed, please let us know what you find.

Best of luck!

Will do. What smells would show its infected? Or what would I be looking for? Also, it's safale us-05 yeast. Ya think it would be ok in a small swamp bath to keep temp down enough since it's only a gallon? I'm out of room in my controlled little fridge??

It should be fine. Pitch and ferment with US-05 as close to 65*F as you can. When it slows down, bump it up to 68*F to finish.

Back