Can i split my boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptnCully

Reaction score
Due to a small kettle, can I split my AG batch into 2 boils? And If so do I hop addition both boils of just one?

I split boil (when I am on the stove top) but try to do as close to possible as 50/50 in each pot. Also remember you will have about a gallon more of boil off. You can add a little as you go or just top off at the end.

My thoughts, and maybe I'm completely off base here (but it's why I've refrained from split boils thus far): unless you take care to make sure mix your 1st/2nd runnings very well (which as can be learned from partial boil/top off mixing thoroughly is almost impossible) the different gravities in each kettle would affect the utilization rate in each. I'd think that'd make it rather hard to get a consistent and predictable result from the hops. I'd also think you'd still suffer from the lower hop utilization and still have to use more than you would in a full boil. But perhaps if you just split it 50/50 using the same schedule in each kettle it'll work out close enough?

It really depends on how much you concern yourself with repeatability. To Qhrumphf's point, it'll be hard to repeat your recipe exactly. OTOH, if you're like many of us, you just want to get a decent brew out of it. In that case you can split your boil and not worry too much about hops, water quantity, mixing etc...

I did split partial boils and just divided up the hops so that each pot would get the same %age approximately. I now have a 10 gallon kettle and I'm not happy with using the stovetop in full boils, it's way too slow.

Ok Thanx. I think that the blending of the run offs are a must and the extra boil off I had not considered. I think that I can keep the hop additions relatively close. It's my first AG and due to finances as of now it it going to be a SMaSH of 2-row of which I have toasted a pound and a half of and am hopping with cascades, pitching wyeast 1045. My keggle won't be in for another week an I'm growing impatient. I think having empty carboys just sitting around has hot to qualify as a sin.

Back