Can I split a yeast starter this way?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummerguy

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew a Belgian Golden Strong this weekend using Wyeast Ardennes 3522. I'm hoping the next beer will be a Belgian Dark Strong, with an OG of 1.103, and I'm hoping to use the same yeast. I'm wanting to overbuild the first starter, but I only have a 2L flask. I've been entering numbers in the yeast calculator on homebrewdad.com and I'm wondering if my plan is sound. I'll know a little more once I purchase the yeast tomorrow. I'm just wanting to get opinions on this plan

The OG of the Golden Strong is 1.089 and will require 333B cells. I'm planning to make a 1L starter, which should result in ~211B cells. This number is, of course, dependent on the viability of the yeast I'm able to get. After the starter has finished, I'm hoping to pour half into a jar to keep for the Belgian Dark Strong. Using the remaining yeast, I plan to make a 1.62L starter to bring the count up to 334B cells. This will result in a growth factor of 2.18.

I will keep the remaining yeast in the refrigerator until I'm ready to brew the next beer. According the calculator on homebrewdad.com, I will need a starter of 1.96L to reach the required 381B cells for the Belgian Dark Strong. Is this a good way to split yeast between batches? Is there anything wrong with doing it this way?

Thanks for the responses, guys. I was definitely nervous when I saw how large the starter would need to be for the bigger beer.

Could I use the remaining yeast to make another small starter and split it again? This would allow me to create a 1.73L starter, which I have had success with in the past. Barring any sanitation issues, are there any problems with repeatedly splitting a yeast starter? Belgians are one of my favorite styles and I wouldn't mind using this yeast as many times as possible.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I was definitely nervous when I saw how large the starter would need to be for the bigger beer.

Could I use the remaining yeast to make another small starter and split it again? This would allow me to create a 1.73L starter, which I have had success with in the past. Barring any sanitation issues, are there any problems with repeatedly splitting a yeast starter? Belgians are one of my favorite styles and I wouldn't mind using this yeast as many times as possible.

No, I've split yeast starters a few times. Generally I'll have like 1L going and Ill make another liter of 1.040 wort. Once thats cooled I just shake the 1L starter up to evenly distribute the yeast, and pour half of it in. You could only pour a tiny bit into the fresh wort, but it would need more time to build up its cell count

Back