Can I secondary 5 gallons of Apfelwein in a 6 gallon carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben_Persitz

Reaction score
I am making a 3.5 gallon Pilsner and 3.5 gallon Hefeweizen sunday and I will have my two 6 gallon fermenters tied up.

I have 5 gallons of apfelwein sitting in a 5 gallon better bottle. I will need to lager my Pilsner obviously, and I don't want to lager it in a 6 gallon carboy as I'll have so much headspace.

Would it be okay to switch my 5 gallons of apfelwein into a 6 gallon fermenter and let it age for another few months or will that gallon of headspace be deterimental?

How long has the Apfelwein been in the primary? If it's still bubbling the airlock, then switching it to the larger carboy shouldn't be a problem because the produced CO2 will push out the oxygen. If it's pretty much done with fermentation, then you can either purge the oxygen (assuming you keg and have a CO2 tank) with CO2 or you may be better off just bottling/kegging and letting it age in there.

Back