Can I put my BIAB directly on the heating element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you measuring losses in an actual mash or was it only based on a water test?

Both. Post #6 is mash heat loss. Post #24 is water heat loss (with the element on to some degree).

What temp do you target for strike water?

I'm brewing at the moment. I just took 31 quarts up to 161.0 degrees, mashed in, and had an initial mash temp of 151.6 degrees.

I'm going to wait 30 min, mix vigorously, and take a temp. If I need to, I'll lift the bag off the element and heat for about a min or so, and finish a mash for another 30 min.

I waited 30 min and rechecked. The temp read 146.4 (or a 5.2 degree loss in 30 min). I stirred vigorously, and it read 141.3 degrees. Not really sure what to do with that.

Anyway, I lifted the bag and turned the heat element on for a few min. Got it back up to 152.6 degrees, let it sit there for 30 min, and at the end it was reading 149.0 degrees (I didn't stir it up again).

Mash temps are much more forgiving than you would think. Don't fret over a few degrees loss during mash, the most important starch conversion takes place in the first 10-15 minutes anyway. I used to beat myself up about overshooting steps when I was brewing on the stove top but I made some pretty good beers. When I started brewing on my electric BIAB setup I learned quickly that excess stirring was counter productive. A few swirls with the paddle to stir from bottom to top is all that is necessary, then cover it up and leave it alone. Remember, if you stir it more than three times, you're playing with it.

Last edited:
When I started brewing on my electric BIAB setup I learned quickly that excess stirring was counter productive.

In what way was it counter productive? Does your eBIAB system has pump assisted wort recirculation?

In what way was it counter productive? Does your eBIAB system has pump assisted wort recirculation?
If you BIAB with your full water volume the mash will be thin and very efficient. Not to mention the finer crush speeds up conversion of starches to sugars. Excessively stirring accomplishes nothing more than cooling the mash. I do have a pump but I no longer use it during either single infusion or step mashes because ramping up happens faster if I just leave the lid on and give it a quick stir every few minutes. If I stir constantly with the lid off, heating up to the next rest temperature takes a lot longer but YMMV.

I do single infusion, single vessel eBIAB, with a mesh bag, a 5500 ULWD heating element and a dragonstill controller. I typically get my strike temp, kill the element, mash in, and wrap the kettle in a sleeping bag.

Despite my best efforts, I still end up losing 8-12 degrees per hour during mashing on average (depending on the time of year). I'm looking to get a little bit more control over mash temps and keep it a little more consistent. More insulation seems like a pain.

Would it be possible to heat my strike temp, kill the element, mash in, then turn the heating element onto something like 5% power, just enough to reduce some of the heat loss?

I haven't tried it yet, for fear of losing a bag and/or a heating element. I know if I crank the element up I'll burn the bag. But at something like 5%, with a ULWD element, can I get away with it? I heard you can put a nylon bag directly on the SS Brewtech halo element without burning it, and I'm not sure if it's a special element, special controller, or something else that enables you to do that.
I use a double layer of this
Reflectix

It goes without saying, don’t use flame or heat on it.
ABE5F821-F65B-424B-A149-8E8BD101FDAE.png

I guess one option is to wait for it to get back into stock. Should be about 2 weeks out.

Thanks for the update! I'll definitely keep my page refreshed every day. I need it because my grain in my brew bag was getting stuck under the element and I believe a false bottom would help even out with the mash while paddling of it. I got tired of lifting every side of the brew bag so I could mix the grain as thoroughly as I could.

I have one of those false bottoms from brewhardware, it's awesome quality and keeps my bag safely away from the heater elements. In my application, the two crossed elements made it necessary to remove the center leg, it's still super strong and has not shown any bending or sagging after 50+ batches. Great piece of equipment.

Back