Can I make anything without buying more stuff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeydan

Reaction score
Hi all, I have the following grains & hops and want to know whether the more creative amongst you can come up with a recipe for delicious beer I can make without having to buy anything else. I don't have any yeast but can pitch onto a cake of 1056 from my Black Pale Ale currently fermenting (or wash the yeast).

about 1.7 kg maris otter
about 1.7 kg wheat malt
about 1.5 kg crystal (135 EBC which I think is around 60 lovibond)
750g carafa III

hops I have are Cascade (about 2.5 oz), Amarillo (4 oz) and Simcoe (3/4 lb)

I am not convinced I will be able to make anything, especially as if I mashed all that wheat malt I don't have rice hulls to assist in preventing a stuck sparge.

Cheers,

Dan

You've got an american wheat easily. Use all the maris otter and wheat plus .22 kg of the crystal. Create a nice hop schedule and that would be good.

If you're worried about a stuck sparge then you'll have to lower the wheat, and thus have a smaller beer. Could still be good though.

Never actually drunk an american wheat, I don't think. Definitely up for giving it a go though...

Might go with an all Amarillo hop schedule just because I really love it and it would make a nice fruity beer.

What kind of IBUs do you reckon I should aim for? 20-30?

Looks like you'll have a gumballheadish beer going, it's delicious. It uses all Amarillo.

.75 oz. at 60
1 oz. at 10
1 oz. at flame out
1 oz. dry hop

I think that should do great.

How bout a 90 minute wheat IPA? Ok,ok...busted. We went to the Giant Eagle food store at Midway Mall in Elyria. Holy Lord! We hit the motherload of craft beer! Bell's oberon,dog fish head,IPA & ruination from Stone. A real belgian trappist ale too,many more I'm sure I'm forgetting. Sweet Jesus,I was in hog heaven fer real,y'all. Drinking a DFH 90min Imperial IPA right now...my 1st,FINALLY!!!

Looks like you'll have a gumballheadish beer going, it's delicious. It uses all Amarillo.

.75 oz. at 60
1 oz. at 10
1 oz. at flame out
1 oz. dry hop

I think that should do great.

Presenting to you all... my 'Whamarillo' recipe!

3lb 12oz Maris Otter
3lb 12oz Wheat Malt
05.lb Crystal 60

.75oz Amarillo 60 min
1oz Amarillo 10 min
1oz Amarillo flameout (will let the temp drop to under 175f before I add this)

at 75% efficiency this nets me an OG of 1044 and should finish up at 1011 (4.4% ABV)

Approaching 40 IBU according to Hopville (Tinseth method) - should I scale this back a touch or leave as is? Could get all my IBUs in the last 1/2 hour of the boil just for the fun of it :)

Looking forward to this one already, just have to wait another 2-3 weeks for my current batch to finish up!

How bout a 90 minute wheat IPA? Ok,ok...busted. We went to the Giant Eagle food store at Midway Mall in Elyria. Holy Lord! We hit the motherload of craft beer! Bell's oberon,dog fish head,IPA & ruination from Stone. A real belgian trappist ale too,many more I'm sure I'm forgetting. Sweet Jesus,I was in hog heaven fer real,y'all. Drinking a DFH 90min Imperial IPA right now...my 1st,FINALLY!!!

Ha! Don't make me jealous dude... We can get some of the most well-known US craft beers over here but only if you're willing to put a dent in your wallet.

I bought one 12oz bottle of Stone Ruination for around $6.50. If you buy beers like that in a bar (if you can find them) they will run you about $10 dollars.

I love the fact that the US doesn't have the same tradition as we do in the UK and the rest of Europe, there is no doubt that the US is miles ahead of anywhere else in terms of the sheer variety of beers being produced and how much experimentation takes place. Some UK breweries are catching on but they're not very innovative, just brewing similar styles to the ones that have been around in the states for years (the west coast IPAs etc.)

Cheers

Dan

Presenting to you all... my 'Whamarillo' recipe!

3lb 12oz Maris Otter
3lb 12oz Wheat Malt
05.lb Crystal 60

.75oz Amarillo 60 min
1oz Amarillo 10 min
1oz Amarillo flameout (will let the temp drop to under 175f before I add this)

at 75% efficiency this nets me an OG of 1044 and should finish up at 1011 (4.4% ABV)

Approaching 40 IBU according to Hopville (Tinseth method) - should I scale this back a touch or leave as is? Could get all my IBUs in the last 1/2 hour of the boil just for the fun of it :)

Looking forward to this one already, just have to wait another 2-3 weeks for my current batch to finish up!

You could scale it back a little. Maybe closer to 30 IBU. I'd just lower the first Amarillo addition.

I'm not a fan of throwing all the hops in the last half hour. I've tried it and don't like it. I prefer the traditional 60 minute bittering hop and then some later flavoring hops around 10-15 mins. It's your beer though, feel free to experiment how you like and see what methods you like best. Maybe you will like using all the hops after the 30 min mark.

Awesome, thanks. Thought the IBUs might be a touch high so will probably just add .5oz. at the beginning of the boil. Got a lot of beer to drink before then though :)

Well Dan,those beers are all from parts of the country that don't sell here,at least not within 3-8 hours from here. I also found a 6'r of Franziskaner Weissbier that was excellent. Nice natural sweetness,fresh flavor from the amber/green bottle. They also called it "naturtrub". Next time,I think I'll pick up Bell's Oberon,maybe some stone ruination & IPA.
I guess I was only half kidding about the wheat IPA. I was thinking of taking my recipe for the extra pale ale I'm gunna bottle soon,& make a pale IPA. I think a wheat IPA could work,with hops found in most wheat beers pumped up a little.
And the DFH 90 minute imperial IPA was actually quite good. It was my 1st DFH,& it actually does have a nice English malt flavor on the back. But,as it warms up to cool room temp,I caught a light earthiness in the middle. The kind of flavor you'd miss if you weren't looking for it. I'll buy this one again,just not often at $10.99usd per four pack. But dang,it's gooooood!!:cross:

Back