Can I make 20 gallons of Apfelwein in this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryEvery

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have just begun home brewing. I have only made 5 gallons of strawberry wine and 15 gallons of Apfelwein. I am reading this forum nonstop and learning a lot. I also just ordered C.J.J. Berry's first book. I think I am addicted to reading this forum.

My question is this. With the understanding that Apfelwein is really good after 6 months or so, I was wondering can I just go ahead and make 1 large batch in this container if I drill a hole and attach an air lock?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LDEP0C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

My main concern is the head space. However, I realize that I don't know anything.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides the headspace, I would be concerned with the fact that the lid only has a foam rubber gasket to seal it after attaching the metal lock ring. Not sure exactly how airtight that sort of a set up would be. If you're really wanting to ferment a 15 gallon batch of Apfelwine in one vessel, I would recommend something along the lines of a Speidel plastic fermenter. My LHBS sells the 15.9 gallon (60 L) ones for $89.99 plus shipping.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Speidel-60L-Plastic-Fermenter-159-gal_p_5071.html

I think that drum would be ok so long as you kept it fully topped up after fermentation subsided. Being HDPE it would be good for 6 months or so of ageing, eventually your apfelwein would start to oxidise. If you don't rack and leave your wine on lees you get less oxidation. Glass or stainless steel are less permeable but more expensive.

Just because it's HDPE does not mean it's food-safe. If it's not specifically marked as food safe, then there is either a lubricant that was mixed into the plastic during molding, or a release agent that was sprayed on the mold itself. These agents will leech out into an acidic, alcoholic liquid.

Most Rubbermade Brutes are food-safe, just check for the NSF stamp on the bottom. They're made in many sizes from 10 to 50 gallon, and they're cheap. I picked up a 35 gallon one for about $30, including lid. I use it for large primaries and then rack to carboys for aging.

Thanks for the advice. I will probably go the route of the 15 gallon fermenter and not take a chance.

Latest posts

Back