Can I get some help? (Extract Black Rye IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danweasel

Reaction score
So.. I have an idea but not too much experience.

I want to brew a session style Black IPA (I would call it a /CDA but that would eliminate half the folks that might help!) but I want to put Rye in the mix. The goal is northwest hop-tastic with some roast notes but also some rye spice in there. I like rye beers but I have never brewed with it and honestly I don't know how much is how much. If you know what I'm saying. I am aiming for about 5%ABV on this as it is gonna be my "light" beer. I am hoping all the flavor covers up any perceived thinness as I usually make 7% beers.

Anyone wanna throw their 2 cents in? I am still doing extract, by the way.

From my experience, it takes a lot of rye to get the flavor to come through. Like 50% of the fermentables for a decent rye flavor. That would be impossible to get with extract brewing, though. You would need a full mash.

Instead of rye, I'd use a Belgian yeast strain to get some spiciness.

I see. Do you think there is anything else to consider when trying to make basically a pale ale with Belgian yeast? I have never made anything but "Pacific Northwest" style beers. Well, and an Irish Red.

just roll with your idea and use both the belgian yeast and rye. a saison yeast might work well with the rye since that will def attribute more spicy notes. i've done partial mash belgian ipa's with rye and between the rye and the belgian yeast there was tons of spiciness competing with the "C" hops i threw in there. i only used .5 lb flaked rye in that batch and it seemed prominent, but i've used more in other recipes where it was undetectable.

the biggest change i would make is to remove any roasted barley or any other roasty grains and stick with the carafa or debittered dark malts to get the color but not too much roastiness.

Back