Can I Freeze my Jockey Box?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnBrewsual

Reaction score
Just wondering, if I primed my beer line with vodka, could I fill my Jockey Box up with water and throw it in the freezer? Or will that cause a problem?

You can but, freezing a block of water in the jokey box is not ideal. As the block melts around the tubing, it will create a void between the ice and tubing and you'll loose the cooling to the tubing. With Ice cubes, as the ice melts around the tubing it will collapse and make contact with the tubing again or you can stir it up.

You want the ice to be in contact with the tubing in your jockey box.

I was just trying to get the most cooling out of the ice, I can see how the melted ice would pull away from the coils and be less effective.

How about adding salt to the water?

I was just trying to get the most cooling out of the ice, I can see how the melted ice would pull away from the coils and be less effective.

How about adding salt to the water?

Just use ice cubes with a little water and add salt to that to bring the temps down., that's what we used to do in Chem lab. It will be a lot quicker to make and you can buy the ice anywhere for cheap.

Back