Can I ferment a belgian tripel at normal temp (~72F)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krausenmustache

Reaction score
ideal is supposedly starting cool (~65F-68F) than allowing it to come up to 70's. I dont have the capability to do this but I have a great recipe and I want to make it. Is this going to have a large impact on the final product?

When you say 72, is that the temperature of the room, or of the wort? What yeast are you using? Some Belgian strains are more temperature sensitive than others.

I think you will be fine, but good fermentation temperature control makes a good brewer into a great brewer.

I have no problem pitching at 65*F and then fermenting at 72-76*F for most Belgian strains, exception being a Belgian Pale Ale which should have less phenolic character from the yeast. It is necessary to pitch on the cool side to prevent fusels.

I still wonder about all these threads though considering a $10 trash can makes a perfectly good fermentation chamber which can get you down to 62*F if you so desire... I have done it... Link in my sig

Back