Can I drill through the top of a back bar fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FA91C3E7-7A61-4D80-843A-A7AAA4FDA466.jpeg
Like this? I just did yesterday.

Last edited:
I would agree. From those pics in the link, it appears the compressor and both coils (therefore all the refrigerant lines) are located on the far left side of the cabinet.

@danclark714 , welcome to the forum!

@verboten , that’s a hell of a rig!

It sucks the way you came by all the free time I’m sure, but I’m glad to see it was used well! I’m in commercial HVACR and my wife’s a nurse. My projects are destined to have to wait......

I would agree. From those pics in the link, it appears the compressor and both coils (therefore all the refrigerant lines) are located on the far left side of the cabinet.

@danclark714 , welcome to the forum!

@verboten , that’s a hell of a rig!

Thanks! I've been brewing for a while and reading from these forums. I just haven't found a lot of info on this type of set up so I figured I would post. I had the same thoughts about where the cooling stuff was, but was hoping someone else had done this before me so I don't ruin a $1300 piece of equipment

Yes exactly thank you. Love the set up. How did you know where to drill? Or did you assume/verify there weren't any critical components in the top?

Thanks, it was kind of a dream setup that I happened across at the right time.
my evaporator is on the top in the middle, so I knew that there was nothing for me to hit in that area. I actually had to go through the compressor area to get into the cooler since it’s such a big tower, and the wall as are all 2” thick.

Thanks! I've been brewing for a while and reading from these forums. I just haven't found a lot of info on this type of set up so I figured I would post. I had the same thoughts about where the cooling stuff was, but was hoping someone else had done this before me so I don't ruin a $1300 piece of equipment

Well I’m glad you pulled the trigger and signed up. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for that cooler.
Front loads like that make a lot of sense. If they didn’t come at such a premium I’m sure they would be the prominent build platform. Top load freezers work fine but are a PITA to load full kegs into.

Well I’m glad you pulled the trigger and signed up. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for that cooler.
Front loads like that make a lot of sense. If they didn’t come at such a premium I’m sure they would be the prominent build platform. Top load freezers work fine but are a PITA to load full kegs into.

Exactly. I'm in a spot now where I can afford a few luxuries and I can't stand loading keezers but they do look much nicer. I might hate cleaning them even more. Feels like I'm breaking my rib cage every time.

my evaporator is on the top in the middle, so I knew that there was nothing for me to hit in that area...

Wait, so there are evaporator components built into the top stainless area? Did you figure out where they are based on where the heat is radiating?

I believe on his model the evaporator coil and fans are in the center of the unit between the two doors. Yours is on the left side. If you look at this picture (From the link you provided) one grill is a return air, the other is a supply where the cold air comes out, the coil will be between them.

23949017-F0B2-48F1-89F3-E4D8C9FBC0A4.jpeg

Back