Can I do It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
I'm doing a IIPA. 20g batch:

55# 2 row, 5# c-10, 5# flaked rye...1.091 Est OG
Magnum, Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade...105 IBUs
5.9 Est SRM
8.9 Est ABV

Target brew date is 5/11/19

I'm wanting to pour this IIPA at a fest on 6/22. Timeline includes 2 dry hops at 4 days (pull) then 7 days (pull). Maybe add a little alpha amylase to it?

I'm not opposed to backing it down to an 8% beer or backing the brew date up to 4/27, or both. I just want to make sure this bad boy isn't under-attenuated and good to go. I have a quick-carb and great ferm temp control, so that isn't an issue.

I'd suggest you brew this as soon as possible so the high alcohol beer you are shooting for has time to calm down. I'd probably start it in February.

I see no problem with 5 weeks lead time as you planned. Timing for hoppy beers is essential, so after a week conditioning time after visible fermentation has finished, dry hop once or twice, cold crash and package. Quick carb and a few days to a week to stabilize should work fine.

Just prevent any air/oxygen exposure after fermentation has started. Work, sample, dry hop, etc. under CO2, preferably, or flush headspaces thoroughly with CO2 after air got in. Transfer into 100% liquid pre-purged kegs, use closed transfers, etc.

Screenshot_20190418-061344_Samsung Internet.jpg

Mash low, 148F.
Or start at 131F for 15' then ramp up slowly to 148F and hold for 30-45'. You want it highly-fermentable, there will be plenty of body left due to the malt bill and the inclusion of crystal.

Have you brewed something like this before?

Which yeast are you intending to use?
You need a tremendous yeast pitch (1650 billion cells) and good initial oxygenation to get this off on the right foot. Re-oxygenate 12 hours (18 hours max) after pitching before fermentation starts.

@IslandLizard - would he be better off pitching more then 1 pack of yeast or do a starter ?
How do you get that many cells the easiest?
1 (liquid) yeast pack only has 100 or 200 billion cells depending on the yeast lab. That's at packaging date, downhill from there.
To get the needed higher cell count:
  1. Use multiple packs. This becomes pricey very quickly. Ideally, making starters from them is still highly recommended to a) prove viability, and b) ramp up cell count.
  2. Make multi-step starters to get to the required amount. Cold crashing and decanting in between steps is highly recommended to get to those amounts. This takes time, at least 48 hours per round, more likely twice that time.
  3. Or brew a low gravity, 1.040-1.050 beer first, pitch the pack(s) and use the yeast cake for the larger batch. Cell count typically becomes 4x-5x of the original pitch. So 80 billion cells (month old pack) pitched becomes ~400 billion cells (5x).

I didn't mention:

4. Buying a pro pack. But those tend to be pricey, need to be pre-ordered and (express) shipped. They may start at 1 barrel (31 gallon) pitches, but 3 or 5 barrel pitches are more the common minimum from what I've seen.​

Using dry yeast is a very viable alternative, counting on 200 billion cells per pouch. Making a 24-hour starter with those and pitching the whole thing could ramp those up to 400 ultra viable cells easily. I've never tried that but should have, looking back.

Some dry yeasts strains (such as US-05) are also available in pound packages. That's a really good option for large batches, and very affordable. Keep well sealed (re-vacuumed if possible) and frozen after use.

I've had NEIPAs from startup breweries fermented with US-05 and they were truly outstanding. I would not have guessed US-05.

I hope the OP keeps us posted on what he decides to do, the progress and outcome.

Mash low, 148F.
Or start at 131F for 15' then ramp up slowly to 148F and hold for 30-45'. You want it highly-fermentable, there will be plenty of body left due to the malt bill and the inclusion of crystal.

beat me to it...i've had 1.000 FG beers with a 145f mash before...(but most people here like more body then i do, so 148f sounds good, lol)

Now i just cheat and add gluco to all my beers, and don't even really sweat the mash temp that much....

beat me to it...i've had 1.000 FG beers with a 145f mash before...(but most people here like more body then i do, so 148f sounds good, lol)

Now i just cheat and add gluco to all my beers, and don't even really sweat the mash temp that much....

gluco is crazy. My current batch went from 1.053 to 0.998 in six days. I used fresh US-05 slurry (5 days old) about 2.5 cups. Comes out at 168 calories and 6.5 grams carbohydrates for a 12 ounce pour but still packing 7.4% ABV.

gluco is crazy. My current batch went from 1.053 to 0.998 in six days. I used fresh US-05 slurry (5 days old) about 2.5 cups. Comes out at 168 calories and 6.5 grams carbohydrates for a 12 ounce pour but still packing 7.4% ABV.

a little :off:, but...

what's beautiful, is if it finished at 1.008, like it would without the gluco...it'd only have 5.9% alcohol, and be 174 calories! :tank:

a little :off:, but...

what's beautiful, is if it finished at 1.008, like it would without the gluco...it'd only have 5.9% alcohol, and be 174 calories! :tank:

Sorry OP about derailing but
forget the calories it would be 14 grams of carbs for that same beer. More than double and that is for a relatively dry beer. I've dropped 42 pounds in last five months mainly controlling carbs. I'm excited about the feasibility of continuing my homebrewing hobby without sacrificing the gains I've made on this diet.

Sorry OP about derailing but
forget the calories it would be 14 grams of carbs for that same beer. More than double and that is for a relatively dry beer. I've dropped 42 pounds in last five months mainly controlling carbs. I'm excited about the feasibility of continuing my homebrewing hobby without sacrificing the gains I've made on this diet.

Right on! i remember when i was 31 and had bursting ass abscesses, and puking blood. I knew i had to do something about my 'drinking', so instead of quitting like a wimp. i started tracking my nutrition with the help of the USDA nutrient database....went from 260 to 178 in a year and a half....doctor was raving about how good of health i was in, probably thought i quit drinking!

I hope you get to your goal weight, and, back on topic. That the OP gets a perfect level of attenuation, and rave reviews at the party! :mug:

Latest posts

Back