Can I diacetyl rest a carbed keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatawnt2b

Reaction score
OK, I have a blond ale that I rushed out of primary and kegged. Carbed it for a week and tried it... WHOA! super butter.

So crap... This is going to need a significant Diacetyl rest, but it's already fully chilled and carbed. Is there a problem pulling it off CO2 and letting it warm to 70 or so for 2-ish weeks?

thanks,
-J

I've been successful doing this (I had the same problem even though I wouldn't say that I rushed it). It was almost undrinkable unless it was ice cold. I figured I had nothing to lose so I pulled it out and put it in the basement for a month. It's now back in the kegger and I can only detect the slightest hint of diacetyl once it gets warmer than I'd drink it anyway. It takes a bit of time because there's comparitively very little yeast left in there. What would take a week in primary takes a month in a cleared keg.

I've done it, too, with great success. You can give that keg a good shakeup to bring some of the settled yeast back into suspension and help move the process along.

TL

Back