Can I bottle condition in 85 F situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasBrew1

Reaction score
Hello all brewers. My 4th batch is fermenting as I write this. The help here on the forum has been invaluable. Thanks to all 4 sharing info/experience. My concern as I plan for summer regards bottle conditioning. I have the Palmer chart for quantities to add of dextrose or table sugar regarding bottle conditioning temp adjustment. Just want some practical experience regarding 85F ambient temps for bottle conditioning. I control my ferm temps, but really have nothing but closet storage for bottle conditioning. Will this be harmful to my product? Any input is appreciated. Cheers. :confused:

I usually bottle condition/carbonate my beers in the 70s and don't have issues. Because its such a small amount of fermentation that is happening, I think we generally don't worry about yeast-derived off-flavors during bottle conditioning, but I've not tried it in the 80s so can't speak from experience.

It's definitely not the ideal temperature but might not effect it too much, it could create some off flavors. If you can add a small fan to circulate the air that might help some.

-Jeff

I know some of the Belgian breweries bottle condition at close to those temps, I think you'd be OK, as long as you don't store the beer that hot.

This being said, I definitely experienced some sulfur off taste in a witbier fermented with WLP400 due to bottle conditioning in a hot environment (75F). Beer from the same batch that was force carbed did not have the problem. Also, I tried again with the same yeast at a moderate temp (68F), and did not have the same issue. So now I'll avoid temperature extremes during bottle conditioning.

We obsess over fermentation temps after all, and a bottle is a microcosm. It might be a tiny amount of yeast, but the other factors such as liquid volume are proportional. So why would it not behave similarly to a full scale fermentation? At least that's my take on it.

From what I've found, bottle carbonation is best done at 68-77 degrees, but this will depend on your tastes, what type of beer and what yeast you are using.
I remember hearing that Sierra Nevada bottle conditions all their beer at about 80.
After a few weeks for carbing, reducing the temperature to 60 is supposed to be good for flavor and if you are going to keep it for a long time, colder than that.

Bottle carbing/conditioning temps in bottles isn't quite the same as initial fermentation temps. I've had bottles on summer get up to 80F or so & they just seemed to carb faster. A week fridge time helps too. Sometimes 2 weeks is better in the fridge after 3 weeks or so at room temp.

When it gets to 85F indoors around here, we turn on the A/C. Just sayin'.

I bottle cond. @ 70F for 3 weeks, fridge for 1 week.

Probably also depends a good deal on the yeast strain involved. I'm sure some are more susceptible/sensitive than others.

I've done it with Cooper's, S-04, US-05 & a couple others. The cleaner yeasts seem to come out better by a lil bit. But WL029 makes a beer that stores well after initial carb/conditioning time.

Latest posts

Back