Can I Boil 2 Days Later

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishhead202

Reaction score
Long story short, I managed to completely screw up this last brew. I managed to get the water out of the grain into the boil pot, but the wife (rightly) said we should call it a night.

The yeast bag got popped Sunday, will it still be good tomorrow (Tuesday).

Can I use my pre-boil wort, or should I just chuck it and start over?

The good that came out of this is that the wife is all about me building a brewing stand now :mug:

Depending on your mash temp & time, as well as your storage procedures, you may have some lacto or other bugs in wort. They will all die during the boil, but you may end up with a tang or sourness to your beer.

taste it. It it tastes good, you are fine. Grain is full of bacteria though. The longer you let it sit, the more likely you are to be growing a big batch of unknown bacteria. Boiling will kill temp, but it won't undo any flavors they imparted.

Yeast should be fine. It would be better to put them in a little wort though - aka a starter. A little DME will get them going and keep them healthy.

I'd taste the wort first. I'm not sure if you are familiar with what wort that hasn't been fermented yet should taste like, but its just very sweet and almost chewy in thickness. If you can't taste any weird funkyness, id go ahead and start boiling it

Why wait 2 days? I wouldn't wait too long.
Did you mash last night?

Boil it ASAP, tonight if you can. After boiling it for 10 minutes, you can let it cool and boil it again the day after to finish it. Keep it well covered and sanitized. Like Starsan-ed plastic wrap around the lid rim.

I had (leftover) wort sour within 24 hours. It gets a little foam on top and starts to taste "funny & funky."

yeah, I've left out hydrometer samples that full on pellicled like 12 hrs after sampling

Grain husks are full of lactobacillus. The only thing that's going to keep your unboiled wort from souring is low temperature. Store that unboiled wort as close to fridge temps as you can, and boil it as quickly as you can!

Shoot, I'm not getting home until late tonight. If I taste it, will I taste the sourness if it's gone bad?

yeah, or you'll see scum on the surface. Hopefully itll just be very sweet and sugary

Back