Can I at least reuse the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i4ourgot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was trying to use the second runnings from a big beer. The second running gravity came out at 1.022 at 20C. I wasn't really paying attention until I was cleaning up and had already pitched my yeast.
1. If this ferments down wont this only be a 3% beer so probably not worth drinking?
2. Is there any way I can at least use this almost as a starter so i don't waste the money on yeast.
3. If I can whats the best method; try to top crop if it even reaches a high Krausen or let it go and ferment for a few days than rack the beer off the yeast cake and pitch fresh beer on.

I ask because I have a very limited amount of yeast and more grain and hops than anything else. I also cant get any more yeast (in the middle of south America all I have is what I brought).

If you didn't bring too much trub into the fermenter you could save the entire cake, and make pitchable doses of it. That kind of beer is a great "starter". But if you do make pitchable amounts of the cake, and depending on how often you brew, some of it will get old.

Just siphon off most of the beer (leave a little), swirl it up, and save several pitches in some clean sanitized jars. Don’t worry about trub unless you feel like there’s a ton of it. And taste the beer. I wouldn’t say it’s not worth drinking just because it’s low abv. If you didn’t over sparge (wort didn’t become to alkaline) you might have a nice little table beer.

If it tastes good drink it. You could carefully add more fermentables or rather, rack it onto some fruit and honey to bump up ath ABV. You can still save the yeast, and you'd have a session beer.

I see no reason you couldn’t use the slurry like ccous described. There’s a bunch of yeast saving threads that go into a lot of detail on saving slurry if you need/want that level of detail. But it supper simple. Just like ccous discribes. I just save mine in a mason jar in the fridge until i’m ready to use it again.

And try the beer. It might be good. For future second runnings, I usually make a smaller volume. Maybe a two gallon batch. some times I throw a little crystal malt on top to give a little more body, cause it tends to be thinner.

I think it’s a lot of fun making second running beers. It’s like free beer! And i’m more apt to experiment since expectations and investment is low.

I ask because I have a very limited amount of yeast and more grain and hops than anything else. I also cant get any more yeast (in the middle of south America all I have is what I brought).

So you packed enough malt, but couldn't fit the yeast? lol...as far as your 1.022 beer, probably be good. just have to use the bathroom more often! like drinking light beer! and like @Hoppy2bmerry said , dope it!

and if you have grain and hops but not yeast, get wild with it!

Yeah Im down in Patagonia so the Malt is plentiful. Just no wheat malt.
So you packed enough malt, but couldn't fit the yeast? lol...as far as your 1.022 beer, probably be good. just have to use the bathroom more often! like drinking light beer! and like @Hoppy2bmerry said , dope it!

and if you have grain and hops but not yeast, get wild with it!

So I was trying to use the second runnings from a big beer. The second running gravity came out at 1.022 at 20C. I wasn't really paying attention until I was cleaning up and had already pitched my yeast.
1. If this ferments down wont this only be a 3% beer so probably not worth drinking?
2. Is there any way I can at least use this almost as a starter so i don't waste the money on yeast.
3. If I can whats the best method; try to top crop if it even reaches a high Krausen or let it go and ferment for a few days than rack the beer off the yeast cake and pitch fresh beer on.

Can
I see no reason you couldn’t use the slurry like ccous described. There’s a bunch of yeast saving threads that go into a lot of detail on saving slurry if you need/want that level of detail. But it supper simple. Just like ccous discribes. I just save mine in a mason jar in the fridge until i’m ready to use it again.

And try the beer. It might be good. For future second runnings, I usually make a smaller volume. Maybe a two gallon batch. some times I throw a little crystal malt on top to give a little more body, cause it tends to be thinner.

I think it’s a lot of fun making second running beers. It’s like free beer! And i’m more apt to experiment since expectations and investment is low.
so are you doing a second mash but with less water..for the second runnings

More often than not, i’m just rinsing left over sugars from the grains. Sometimes i’ll throw a little crystal in to add some body and let that steep. All the enzyme conversion and temperature control is done with the first run. You can even use cold water to just rinse, but I usually heat it and maintain about or a little lower temps than the actual mash.

I’ve heard once you start pulling gravities below 1.030 you can get an astringent, hull flavor. I’ve never experienced that but I stop rinsing around there too.

back to the yeast...I have reused just the dregs off the bottom of the fermenter for 1-2 years pitch after pitch. but try and keep it to just one year, brewing a 10 gal batch once a week with it, all year. never sour, just dirty/dusty. and i just fermented this last batch with the rinse of a empty keg, and going to keg today. but seems alright to me.

a little off topic for the starter idea, but i'd say drink the beer. and save the yeast cake at the bottom.

could try freezing also, there's some info on it around these parts!

How are you fermenting

Latest posts

Back