Can I alter my tap to work with this duotight fitting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkhanso

Reaction score
Plymouth, MN - terrible tap water for brewing
I bought one of Bobby's Product Code: PUSHSHANK
I thought I would be able to just screw it to the back of my faucet, but I later found that my faucet has a barb moulded into it. Can I simply cut off the barb and screw the Duotight fitting on it? I'm not sure the threads are the same though.

IMG_20220618_190306.jpg

Yup! Lots of ways to lop that barb off, I used a Dremel with a fiber cutoff wheel, but once it's gone you're good to go with a PTC fitting...

Cheers!

@day_trippr have you ever cut part of the actual shank off with the threads? My tube on the top of the kegerator isn't very big and with the duotight fitting on there, the EVA Barrier tubing takes too tight a right-turn to press in and it leaks because it doesn't sit in straight. If I can cut some of the actual threads off so it'll fit closer to the faucet side of the tube it might come in straight enough not to leak.

Last edited:
I need female threads to screw on the faucet shank. I think it might have been a mistake to switch to a Duotight fitting since I don't have much room in my kegerator riser tube-thingy. The shank I have is pretty short already and I'm not sure I'd find one shorter, thus the question if I can cut the actual shank threads down shorter. I might only need another 1/4" of space to get the EVA Barrier tubing to come in a little straighter and not leak.

At least I can brew today and still have time to get the faucet/kegerator working before the beer is fermented (which I'm going to try for the first time under pressure in corny kegs).

IMG_20220619_083346.jpg

Last edited:
@day_trippr have you ever cut part of the actual shank off with the threads?

I have not. And looking at that picture it doesn't look like shortening the shank threads would actually help much as the threaded fitting looks very close to bottoming out against the hex nut.

Using the 90° stem insert is the best shot. You may have to shorten the stem though...

Cheers!

Back