Can i Age previously refidgerated beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave37

Reaction score
Ey guys just picked up a nice 750ml of Ommegangs 3 philosophers quadrupel and I wanted to hold onto it for a while. When I bought it it was in the refridgerated part of the beer section. any way my question is how should I store it at home if I want to keep it for an extended period of time? Should I keep it at all? Is three philosophers a good brew to age? Or drink right away?

My SWKOSBO (she who kind of should be obeyed. aka girlfriend) has a small wine fridge that could keep it at a nice 50-60* range but it would have to be stored horizontally or I could just store it where I keep my beers that are carbing at home. That area fluctuates in temperature slightly.

Anyway I was looking for some advice about this topic in general and was hoping you gents and gals could start here.

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas.

Dave

Also forgot to ask of if it is ok to age because it was previously refridgerated. And if the simple option of keeping it in my refrigerator for an extended period of time was possible

This beer is awesome! I would suggest doing both. Try it fairly fresh and see how you like it. If you are able to get a second bottle go ahead and age it. Take good notes of your initial tasting and then compare it to the aged one.

As far as storage, you typically want to keep it at a cool temperature and out of sunlight. So the fridge should work for you. The cooler you keep it the better it ages. Higher temperatures could cause some undesirable flavors.

Fridge is perfect. I bottle share with some friends and one has three beer refrigerators absolutely packed.

Back