can I age maibock in refrigerator or shall I take out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robaincltnc

Reaction score
I jumped the gun on tasting my spring maibock today. I kegged 1 month ago and brewed 6 weeks ago. It has a strong taste of alcholol so i know it needs to age more. My question is whether or not to let it age in the refrigerator (where it is now) or to take it out and put it aside. What is better for the aging process? Cheers!

update...5/28 and I just tasted it and still has alcohol taste...maybe not quite as bad as a week ago...will try again in 2weeks and see. Hopefully its not a ruined batch. :(

I would typically leave any bock, including a maibock, in the fermenter for a long period. At least 6 weeks. I usually lager it at 35-40 degrees for another 4 weeks, minimum. I wouldn't be fermenting or 'aging' a lager above 50-55 unless you broke style and used an ale yeast or if it was for a diacetyl rest. Be patient with lagers and with high gravity beers. Give it some more time.

My last one in my avatar sat in primary for 4 weeks. Came out good with 3 weeks bottle,6 days fridge. But it sounds like it did need to sit on the yeast awhile longer.

Storing a maibock in the fridge is, IMO, the best place to store it to let it age. The hot alcohols will fade with time (thinks months). If you're patient, you ma find it turns out to be an awesome beer. I know I'm always shocked at how long it takes my lagers to start tasting great.

Storing a maibock in the fridge is, IMO, the best place to store it to let it age. The hot alcohols will fade with time (thinks months). If you're patient, you ma find it turns out to be an awesome beer. I know I'm always shocked at how long it takes my lagers to start tasting great.

Right- that's the point of lagering!!!! 8 weeks at 34 degrees would be a good place to start.

Lagering really does make a huge difference in a um, lager.

Back