Can I adjust the pH of a finished beer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mindless2

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I think I screwed up a batch of brew.
I was getting a tartness and when I measured the pH it was 4.3.
Would this account for it?Is the any way to adjust it now that it's done or am I screwed??
If not can I maybe use the batch to blend and raise it some?
Thanks
Todd

Hey guys,
I think I screwed up a batch of brew.
I was getting a tartness and when I measured the pH it was 4.3.
Would this account for it?Is the any way to adjust it now that it's done or am I screwed??
If not can I maybe use the batch to blend and raise it some?
Thanks
Todd

At 4.3 in a finished beer it shouldn't taste tart. Is this the pH of the finished beer, the mash or the wort? Also make sure your pH meter is calibrated for a correct reading.

4.3 pH is a good range for a beer to be finishing. As said, it shouldn't taste tart. If your mash pH or wort pH (pre-fermentation) were that low, then that's a different story.

Hmm... I never tested the mash or wort ph..... the finished ph was 4.3, borrowed a tester (and ordered one)
I wonder the tartness/bitterness cause then...

Hmm... I never tested the mash or wort ph..... the finished ph was 4.3, borrowed a tester (and ordered one)
I wonder the tartness/bitterness cause then...

If your mash pH or wort pH were that low, likely conversion wouldn't have happened anyway, but if it did the beer pH would be even lower.

Recipe? Yeast strain? Fermentation details. I could see acetaldehyde being described as tart.

I dont have the recipe handy, but The more research I do, it seems that could be it acetyl aldehyde or maybe acetyl bacteria.?? I do remember that the abv finished about a % or so lower than it should. I kegged it and placed it in the basement for another week....

Latest posts

Back