Can hard cider be drinkable in just 3 days of fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shedbrewery

Reaction score
About 3 days ago I started some hard cider, used dark brown sugar, 1 pack of dry baker's yeast, and about a handful of boiled raisins as a nutrient for the yeast.

I had it sitting for about 4 hours, and fermentation was insane. I didn't use an airlock, I just had a cap screwed on the bottle a bit loose, and when I unscrewed it a bit, a lot of gas escaped and made a very loud noise. It did this all night as I unscrewed the cap a little to let co2 escape. It fermented for about 3 days, and now, fermentation is very slow and seems to be coming to a stop.

So, could I put this brew in the fridge for a couple hours to stop any extra fermentation, strain it, then bottle it to drink?

(I have stopped fermentation early before with a grape juice brew, in about a week, and this seemed to work, for it was a very strong drink.)

Thanks!

KeyWestBrewing said:
Kinda yea. As long as its fermented out and the yeast has settled out. Once your done bottling I'd keep it in the fridge though just in case. Do a search for stove top pasteurizing and that's another option so you don't have to worry about bottle bombs. Personally I think your drinking it too soon but if you think it tastes good go for it.

I do plan on putting it in the fridge so the yeast can stop.
I'm just wondering is this bad on my health to drink right after primary fermentation?
I strain it through a wash cloth about 6 times, it seems to work well and get rid of anything in it, making it just wine juice.

Don't bottle it! At least, not without pasteurizing, or keeping in the fridge and consuming quickly. You're really begging for an explosion (very difficult to get rid of the yeast while you've got so much sugar in the cider). Even storing in the fridge will just slow fermentation. But sure, drink all you want! Yeast won't hurt you. It will probably taste good, if still very sweet, and be fairly low in alcohol.

I do plan on putting it in the fridge so the yeast can stop.
I'm just wondering is this bad on my health to drink right after primary fermentation?
I strain it through a wash cloth about 6 times, it seems to work well and get rid of anything in it, making it just wine juice.

Putting the bottles in the fridge will make the yeast go dormant. If there are any residual sugars you still have the possibility of bottle bombs.

What issue regarding health after primary fermention are you concerned about???

Straining it thru a washcloth?! Like the one you use in the shower??
Does it taste like alcoholic cardboard?? Seems like a sure way to oxidize your entire batch

Wine juice?? Interesting

Johnnyhitch1 said:
Putting the bottles in the fridge will make the yeast go dormant. If there are any residual sugars you still have the possibility of bottle bombs.

What issue regarding health after primary fermention are you concerned about???

Straining it thru a washcloth?! Like the one you use in the shower??
Does it taste like alcoholic cardboard?? Seems like a sure way to oxidize your entire batch

Wine juice?? Interesting

Yes a clean washcloth, made it taste fine

I've had an embarrassing number of bottle bombs lately, all involving either cider or fruit beers where the juice didn't have enough time to ferment out fully. Even when bottles were stored in a cold basement (and this is with cherry juice added to secondary three weeks before bottling). Just be warned! Slow yeast still makes CO2!

ong said:
I've had an embarrassing number of bottle bombs lately, all involving either cider or fruit beers where the juice didn't have enough time to ferment out fully. Even when bottles were stored in a cold basement (and this is with cherry juice added to secondary three weeks before bottling). Just be warned! Slow yeast still makes CO2!

I could leave the lid on loosely.... or just keep the lid off when it's in the fridge...

If you just keep it in a jug in the fridge, and loosen the lid to "burp" it every now and then, you should be fine.

Doesn't sound like you pasteurized it at all!
Where abouts in Portland are you? I'd be willing to trade a couple homebrews:mug:

Well, I had a couple successful bottle pasteurizations, and one where I just don't think I hit my temps. The cherry porter wasn't pasteurized, of course, but I thought it was fermented dry.

I'm in SE portland -- pm me if you want to do a trade! I'm mainly kegging, but I could do a growler fill or just bottle a few from the tap.

Latest posts

Back