Can freezer odor cause off smells in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whlkng

Reaction score
A smell issue has plagued my last two batches of beer. First, for my very first beer I brewed a brown ale. Everything smelled and tasted great when moving it over to the keg and carbonating it. I kept it in the fridge for 3 days during carbonation and it was perfect. Then I moved it into my outside temp controlled freezer and 24 hours later it had a distinct "wet dog" odor that got worse over time.

The second batch was an ordinary bitter that was also fine at kegging. However, this time I just decided to leave it in the fridge to make it easier to get to. We drank this beer for 2 weeks with no problem and it tasted and smelled great. I then needed to cold crash a red ale so I moved the keg to my freezer. Amazingly, about 24 hours later the ordinary bitter is starting to get the exact same "wet dog" odor.

I am very anal about sanitation and I doubt this can be a coincidence that both have the same odd smell just after going into the freezer.

Thoughts?

Yes. It can.

I have traced a peculiar aroma in my beers to my ferm fridge.

Time for me to break out the bleach and baking soda.

Latest posts

Back