Can cornies operate lying on side?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surface_Tension

Reaction score
I realized there are probably issues with the dip tub as well as the PRV, but where there is a will (especially for beer) there is a way.

So I was wondering if anyone has tried this and had success. I was thinking I could lift them on one end slightly to keep the PRV from being flooding with liquid and the dip tub could be bent.

In case you are wondering, my fermenter is a fridge on top, that I keep 60 to 65, which leaves the freezer portions at a nice 35 to 40 degrees, but cornys won't stand up in the bottom, too short.

Dave

Your corny would have to be near vertical when full to clear the PRV. You'd need to modify the the dip tub as well, but other that those two obstacles, I don't see why it couldn't be done.

Just get kegs with straight diptubes. No reason you need to have the PRV clear; pressing the gas poppet will accomplish the same thing (as long as the gas diptube is clear).

+1
I've got some Firestone cornys with straight dip tubes. They should work on their side.

It could work out really well, too, because the crap will settle along the side of the keg, instead of being funneled to the dip tube by the bottom! :rockin:

Basically what all these guys are saying is that there's a tube that runs from the tap to the bottom of the keg. Without any modification that means that you'll only be able to get 1/2 the beer from the keg before the tube is no longer submerged. However if you were to modify the tube somehow, so that it was near the side of the keg, then in theory it would work fine.

And in practice.

Just thinking out loud, if I don't have a straight dip tube could I just sub in a gas in tube? As long as the keg is truly on its side, it shouldn't matter how long the tube is. Even better, how about a gas in post with a little piece of beer line that curves down to the bottom? You could probably just press fit it and not worry about clamps.

I was thinking I could use a tubing bender to modify the dip tube to make sure to get all the good stuff out.

The more I think about it though, I'm just going to wait until I can get my kegerator set up right. My friend gave me a small stand up freezer, but the cooling coils are actually the shelves, so they can't be removed and a corny won't fit. I have a chest freezer for my food, and since food is a lower priority, I'll just have to shuffle everything around a bit and modify the chest freezer.

Brew on!

Thanks everyone.

Dave

Back