Can cold water kill yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaz56

Reaction score
Hey guys I attempted to activate my yeast for the first time I read the packet it said to put yeast in 38-40 degree celsius but I didnt catch the celsius part till after so I put the yeast in 40 degree fareinheight is it possible that I could have killed the yeast?

Thermal shock might kill some, but you will have enough left to get things going. Freezing the yeast cells in water would definitely kill them off, but just cold water won't.

are you sure about the 38-40C bit? that's far too specific IMO, as long as its not ice cold water you will be fine. That is almost hot enough to kill most yeast. Room temperature is basically what you want but you will be fine. It is also advisable to let the yeast warm up by taking them out of the fridge before rehydrating, the idea is not to change the temperature too much, as memtioned above by Gremlyn, this will cause "thermal shock".

Hey thanks guys the yeast didnt die i have a strong fermentation going on. Pommy ya the packet said 38-40C

Thermal shock might kill some, but you will have enough left to get things going. Freezing the yeast cells in water would definitely kill them off, but just cold water won't.

When I made freeze concentrated bock (not very good, btw) there were a few yeast that survived the freeze. Not enough to carb the beer properly, but enough to make a CO2 "hiss" when I first opened the bottle after three weeks.

But you're correct, the vast, VAST majority of yeast in there kicked it. The bucket, that is. A tiny, tiny yeast-sized bucket. :(

Latest posts

Back