Can bacteria live in pure CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docjowles

Reaction score
Since NASA found life that eats arsenic of all things, my gut tells me the answer is "yes", but I wanted to ask: can beer-spoiling critters live in pure CO2? I'm asking specifically about the hose from my CO2 tank to my kegs. Do you guys periodically sanitize that hose and its fittings? I've been kegging for about 6 months and never once sanitized the CO2-in hose or where it connects to the tank, and so far have had no infections in the kegs. I do sanitize the gas-in post on the keg since it's so easy to remove. But my inner sanitation nazi keeps freaking out :)

What do you all do?

Don't know about living in CO2, but I do use an in-line filter on the gas line to keep out any bits of dirt/rust/etc that might be lurking inside the tank. Those are usually sold at some LHBS's or online ones. Cheap insurance.

Since NASA found life that eats arsenic of all things, my gut tells me the answer is "yes", but I wanted to ask: can beer-spoiling critters live in pure CO2? I'm asking specifically about the hose from my CO2 tank to my kegs. Do you guys periodically sanitize that hose and its fittings? I've been kegging for about 6 months and never once sanitized the CO2-in hose or where it connects to the tank, and so far have had no infections in the kegs. I do sanitize the gas-in post on the keg since it's so easy to remove. But my inner sanitation nazi keeps freaking out :)

What do you all do?

The answer is probably yes they can in one form or another. Bacterial spores can survive exposure in outer space, so I'm sure they wouldn't have much trouble with inner space. IMO, keeping the gas line and connector clean and sanitized is the most often overlooked potential source of contamination of all. Bacteria or mold in the line or connector will be blasted into a keg along with the CO2. It would only take a small amount of contaminants to screw up your beer. The infection may not show up immediately as the beer will probably be well chilled and the alcohol content will inhibit growth, but over time...blah...blah...blah.

That arsenic paper was complete crap.

That said, I clean out my gas line every once in a while when I don't have anything hooked up. Needless to say, that doesn't happen often.

:off:
Can you document that? IOW, says who? The pope doesn't count.
Says myself and my lab, who are familiar with the limitations of the characterization methods used (nanoSIMS and XRF).

Says quite a number of prominent microbiologists. (See here, here, and here)

Heck, says the pope for whatever it's worth.

Bottom line, their results are interesting but the study was poorly conducted, neglecting (or just not reporting on) the characterization methods that would have provided solid evidence of their claims.

AKA crap.

:off:

Says myself and my lab, who are familiar with the limitations of the characterization methods used (nanoSIMS and XRF).

Says quite a number of prominent microbiologists. (See here, here, and here)

Heck, says the pope for whatever it's worth.

Bottom line, their results are interesting but the study was poorly conducted, neglecting (or just not reporting on) the characterization methods that would have provided solid evidence of their claims.

AKA crap.

It looks like you are right, or at least there's still considerable doubt about the validity of the study. I did some quick googles and found a lot of stuff to back you up. I'm very disappointed in NASA on this. I would think that they would take extreme measures to confirm this sort of thing before announcing it to the public. Very, very disappointing.:mug:

From my limited research while brewing, lactobacillius (sp?) and the other big bad beer bug whose name I'm forgetting right now, are cultured in a CO2 environment.

Latest posts

Back