Can anyone tell me if using Na2CO3, sodium percarbonate, results in a good cleaner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am trying to find a cleaner for my equipment and one user suggested the use of 100% sodium percarbonate.

Has anyone ever tried it/used this as a mixture with water as a cleaner?
I think this is the stuff that active oxygen and hidrogene peroxide cleaners contain....I might be wrong though.

UPDATE: John Palmer talks about it too......

"Percarbonates
Sodium percarbonate is sodium carbonate (i.e. Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda) reacted with hydrogen peroxide and it is a very effective cleaner for all types of brewing equipment. It rinses easily. Several products (e.g. Straight-A, Powder Brewery Wash, B-Brite, and One-Step) are approved by the FDA as cleaners in food-manufacturing facilities. One-Step is labeled as a light cleaner and final rinse agent, and produces hydrogen peroxide in solution. Hydrogen peroxide will effectively sanitize surfaces and containers that are already clean. As with all sanitizers, the effectiveness of hydrogen peroxide as a sanitizing agent is comprimised by organic soil. Use these cleaners according to the manufacturer's instructions, but generally use one tablespoon per gallon (4 ml per liter) and rinse after cleaning.

In my opinion, percarbonate-based cleaners are the best choice for equipment cleaning, and Straight-A from Logic Inc., and Powder Brewery Wash (PBW) from Five Star Chemicals, Inc. are the best of them. These products combine sodium metasilicate with the percarbonate in a stable form which increases its effectivity and prevents the corrosion of metals like copper and aluminum that strong alkaline solutions can cause."

Sun Oxygen Cleaner at Walmart (and Oxiclean free) is sodium percarbonate. I mix it 70/30 with Red Devil TSP90 (Sodium Metasilicate) for homemade PBW.

Yup, I just use unscented Oxyclean Free. That's just the percarbonate portion, and doesn't have the TSP that PBW has. It still works great. You can also buy both percarb and TSP in bulk online, if you care.

Back