can anyone describe the flavor of old hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jppostKW

Reaction score
I racked a tire bite golden ale from the byo clone issue i mixed it up a bit and dry hopped with hallertauer plugs = to an oz. that the LHBS had it was the first and lst time i ever saw them in the store. it tasted great at pitching time great at rack to secondary 2 weeks in i put the hop plugs in the carboy let them sit for a week and cold crashed for 2 days i racked it to keg today force carbed and pulled off a sample. it tasted horrible!!!!! a smell kind of of stale hoppy ness with a intense flavor of the same. i didnt change any practices i.e. pbw for all washing starsan for sanitizing use a better bottle for primary glass carboy for secondary. have a keg washer that runs hot wash liquid thru both ports and sprays all surfaces sanatize the keg run some starsan thru the liquid line out the facuet this is the second batch thru this line and o-rings and i kicked the keg of the previous batch last night. i dont think i missed anything.

anyone else had a similar experiance

Thanks

Paul

Old hops shouldn't have much of a flavor.

If it tastes horrible, then I think you've made a great clone of Tire Biter... haha. My opinion of Flying Dog Brewery is pretty low. When I tried their wheat and it tasted like fish...that was enough to spoil all of their beers for me.

Old hops shouldn't have much of a flavor.

If it tastes horrible, then I think you've made a great clone of Tire Biter... haha. My opinion of Flying Dog Brewery is pretty low. When I tried their wheat and it tasted like fish...that was enough to spoil all of their beers for me.

yeah not amazing beer but im a fan of hunter s thomspon so i ran with it their pale isnt't half bad bur damn i am tearing up the net trying to find someone describe something similar

Back