Can’t hit FG!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaneDzak

Reaction score
I have had 4 brews under my belt so far and all four have yielded between a 1.025 and 1.03 FG. Three were all grain IPA and the first was an extract amber ale. I used liquid yeast smack pack for the IPAs and safale dry for the extract. Hit my OG every time, used yeast nutrient, fermented at around 67-72 degrees, tried converted fish pump for oxygenation (ended up being my worst attenuation of all 4), used Amalyse Enzyme for 2 our of 3 all grain brews. What is happening!! Why can’t I hit my FG or even get below a 1.025?!?

@raysmithtx has a point. If you're using a refractometer, the alcohol produced during fermentation will throw it off and you need to use an online calculator to adjust when you're taking your FG reading. This may explain why when you used the fish pump, you had your "worst" attenuation. In reality, it was your best, but you just needed to adjust your refractometer reading.

So my attenuation is like 90%? Is that too much. I had no idea I needed to account for the alc

Thans everyone for the input. Beers are definitely way better knowing my attenuation was higher than expected. Was just using abv calculator online and didn’t realize I had to account for alc. I’ve found that the amalyse enzyme is not needed as long as my mash temp is right. 1 brew without it was better than the 2 others with it

Feel way better about my brews. They taste great and I was wondering why I got a little buzz off “4.5%” alc beers. Thanks everyone for the input!!

Back