CAMRA Champion Hobsons Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlantic

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the yeast used by Hobsons, whose Mild was awarded the 2007 CAMRA Champion Beer of Britain?

http://www.hobsons-brewery.co.uk/our-beers/hobsons-mild/

On a whim I bought a bottle of Hobsons Postman's Knock and saw that it's bottle conditioned, so I thought I'd take a stab at harvesting the yeast and making a small batch of bitter. I can barely find out anything about the yeast, though.

From what I can tell, the nearby Ludlow brewery originally got their strain from Hobsons, and this page says Hobsons yeast is originally from Holden's brewery:

http://allbeerflavourdiscoverychoice.blogspot.com/2010/06/anything-but-old-hat.html

The yeast, a classic top-fermenting ale strain, was originally
sourced from Midlands family brewer Holden’s but now imparts
a distinctive character to all Hobsons beers.

If anyone has any more information about this yeast, I'd appreciate it.

Nothing that I can find. One of my favorite strains was picked up by White Labs a few years back as a platinum strain, but they haven't had it since. Does Hobson's sell any bottle-conditioned beers? I think harvesting your own would be the best bet if possible.

Nothing that I can find. One of my favorite strains was picked up by White Labs a few years back as a platinum strain, but they haven't had it since. Does Hobson's sell any bottle-conditioned beers? I think harvesting your own would be the best bet if possible.

The mention of bottle conditioning on the label is what led me to want to try to harvest it. I read one reference to them reusing their yeast, so it's very likely they've had a bit of drift from what they originally picked up. It should be an interesting gallon or two experiment.

Old thread,but OP,did you ever have any luck with the Hobsons yeast?
I have a bottle each or Postmans and Shropshire stout over here I would like to try the yeast from.

Back