Campden tablet didn't dissolve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have campden tablets in a couple 1 gallon batches, the particles did not dissolve all the way and i am wondering how i go about filtering it out. will cheese cloth work? or should i use a coffee filter?

It's best to crush and dissolve before adding to your must. If you filter it out, what was the point of putting it in?

The last campden tablets I bought were from Brewcraft. The tablets never fully dissolve. I noticed they were twice the size for the same amount of metabisulfite. I checked with the supplier (Williams Brewing), but they didn't know anything about it. I decided these particular tablets have more filler/binder, and this material doesn't dissolve, but this is just a guess.

Seems hard to believe that a company making campden tablets for home brewing would use a filler that doesn't fully dissolve. I use cheap LD Carlson tablets and haven't ever had a problem with them dissolving when crushed and mixed in warm water.

I had the same problem on my first batch, I got them out in the racking process by just trying too avoid sucking them up haha. Yeah lesson learned, make sure to crush them better next time

Back