Calling all Orlando (central Florida) Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aust1227

Reaction score
Hey guys,
A buddy of mine and I are interested in getting together a bunch of brewers for a spring beer tasting and home cooking. Anyone interested. We are in Mt. Dora and would like to do his sometime in April. So get your beers ready and respond to this post if you are interested!

COMMITTED
Austin - Beer - SmuttyNose brown dog clone - Home made chili
Pike - Beer Boddingtons Clone - Dish Chicken breasts with a white sauce
Chris - Beer TBD - Dish BBQ Ass of pig
Sherpa
Plan9
Bayes2112
HoppyPete

Chris_Dog said:
Count me in!!!

I can bring BBQ, I have a large pork butt that I can smoke.

I figured you might be the first to respond! Sounds great! I am thinking April 19th. Does that date work?

I have a kegerator that can hold four cornies, so if you want one of those spots you are welcome to it.

email me at [email protected] and I can get an e-vite going.

Hi there. My boyfriend and I are just getting into brewing, and we might be interested in dropping by (I'm mostly around Gainesville these days, and he's in Sarasota). So, I'll probably PM you offlist soon.

Also, since hopefully there's other locals checking this thread out, are there any recommendations on homebrew supply shops in the Gainesville area? I'm new here (having temporarily relocated from Reno, NV), and could use some advice.

Thanks a lot; hope to meet you all in April!

bibi_mwewe said:
Also, since hopefully there's other locals checking this thread out, are there any recommendations on homebrew supply shops in the Gainesville area? I'm new here (having temporarily relocated from Reno, NV), and could use some advice.

Thanks a lot; hope to meet you all in April!

There's Hogtowne Ale Works on University Avenue (just west of 34th Street), though they tend to be quite pricey.

Hey. I may be interested in joining in. I'll have at least some Apfelwein I can bring. How far is Mt. Dora from Leesburg? I'm in Wesley Chapel but visit the imlaws in Leesburg regularly.

Chris

Mt Dora and Leesburg are pretty much next to eachother.
Count me in, is it going to be pot-luck food, and then the beer tasting?
Sounds like it will be a good time.

Nice! Sounds like we are getting a good group together. I will keep an eye on this post. April 19th is the date to remember.

The plan is to have Pot Luck and beer tasting!

I have a kegerater with four ports for corneys. If you want to reserve one of those ports, then please drop me a line. Otherwise, plan on bringing bottles or your own keg/distribution.

ArcaneXor said:
There's Hogtowne Ale Works on University Avenue (just west of 34th Street), though they tend to be quite pricey.

They are a bit pricey, but every time I have been in there they are helpful. Just don't go before 2 PM because no one will be there...:mad:

Hey guys. When we all get together lets think about a bulk order of grain too!

Cool, thanks for the advice on the LBHS; I'll check 'em out. I know the locals are often a little pricey, but I like to support their endeavors, too. If they're nice people who are in it for the right reasons, of course...

Not sure right now if I'll have the free time to drop by in April, but I'll keep the option open. We have a real nice Moose Drool clone conditioning right now, but that will be completely consumed by the time April rolls around! So, we'll put something else up that should be nice, in the event we can make the 'que.

Count me in!

I responded to your email, hopefully you got it.

I've got a overly sweet red ale bottled, and I'm brewing a Pale Ale tomorrow. It'll be ready by then.

Got your email plan! Updated the front page of this thread. Should be a good time! We will work out menu and details as the date gets closer. Remember to reserve your spot in the kegerator if you want it!!

If y'all don't mind a newbie bringing his first (non-Mr.Beer) batch, then I'm interested. I'll have to run it by SWMBO before I commit.

Newbies are no problem! I am a newbie myself (three months, 8 brews)..

Get the confirmation from you wifey and I will update the front page with your info.

Sweet! I'll be in Orlando mid-April with my in-laws (the ENTIRE in-law family) for a week and a half.. If you guys do this when im down there, i'd love to get over and help!

Translation: PLEASE do this the 2nd-3rd week of April, because I could really use an excuse to get out of there!

capcrnch said:
Sweet! I'll be in Orlando mid-April with my in-laws (the ENTIRE in-law family) for a week and a half.. If you guys do this when im down there, i'd love to get over and help!

Translation: PLEASE do this the 2nd-3rd week of April, because I could really use an excuse to get out of there!

ROFL..now HOW could we turn down a plea like that??

Sherpa FE said:
ROFL..now HOW could we turn down a plea like that??

:D

While I have a bunch of Orlando folk in one place...
Is there any other LHBS other then HeartHomebrew?

I'm officially in, if we're still doing this thing. I've got a small porter (3.2% ABV) and my iteration of Yooper's DFH 60 should be ready just it time.

Let me know if I should bring some non-beer consumables. I can make a good guac or some jalapeno mashed potatoes.

He guys, definately interested! I'll have my first Pale Ale to bring, but I gotta check my calendar. I have a creeping feeling that I have something going on that weekend. Im over in Lake Wales, but I don't mind a drive! Send me any info you have. And if not, I look forward to doing something in the future, because I'm new and I'd love to get some ideas from others.

Bayes2112 said:
Let me know if I should bring some non-beer consumables. I can make a good guac or some jalapeno mashed potatoes.

I'm sure we'll all need to bring something.

As a Vegetarian, I apreciate the guac and potatoes. :D

I'll be bringing some wine to Florida when we come down, ill bring a couple of extra bottles. I wasn't too enthused with the thought of bringing beer on the plane in my luggage. haha

Hey guys. I was in Vegas, sorry it took me a while to update this post! We are definatley doing this. April 19th. I have updated the front page with all the people that are coming. Also, go ahead and call your dish. We are thinking pot luck is best. Bring your best dish and your best beer!

Cool, I was afraid we lost you. :D

I'll bring my Red Devil Ale, and Pale Force Ale.

As far as food, I haven't decided yet. I can make my roasted corn and black bean salsa, but I don't know what else yet.

Aust1227 said:
Hey guys. I was in Vegas, sorry it took me a while to update this post! We are definatley doing this. April 19th. I have updated the front page with all the people that are coming. Also, go ahead and call your dish. We are thinking pot luck is best. Bring your best dish and your best beer!

I've been refraining from making any commitment because my schedule can and often changes day to day. If I am in town I will definitly make the haul over there.

I sure hope so.

Austin, if this is still on, mark me down for...
Beer - Pale Ale
Food - Maccaroni Salad, Black Bean Salsa

Chris_Dog said:
Well it's official I will be out of town the weekend 19-20. Sorry Guys!!!

Well...there goes the pig A$$ for lunch...LOL
Sorry you wont be there Chris. You can mark me down for a Dogfish HEad 60 Clone. Not sure what to ring to eat yet....but you tell ME what you are missing and I can bring it.

Sherpa FE said:
Well...there goes the pig A$$ for lunch...LOL
Sorry you wont be there Chris. You can mark me down for a Dogfish HEad 60 Clone. Not sure what to ring to eat yet....but you tell ME what you are missing and I can bring it.

We are still on. I will start sending emails to all people next week with directions and all.

To keep this all legal please bring a picture ID showing your age is greater than 21. I know that sounds stupid, but, we are all strangers after all. And the last thing any of us need is a felony slapped on us for providing minors with beer!

Will this be brewers only, or brewers and SWMBOs?

It doesn't matter to me either way, just planning ahead.

Back