California Common

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim M

Reaction score
I’ve been reading up on Cali Common recently and after reading a couple articles & post, I’ve started wondering how close our modern versions & guidelines come to the ordinals in regards to ingredients. Please share your opinions & info.

Based on this article, I am going to say not very similar to modern day versions. The History of Steam Beer, America’s Original Craft Brew As it points out, back in 1800's, barley and wheat, were not readily available on the West Coast, so breweries out there resorted to using grits and cereal grains to create the sugars for yeast to eat.

As to whether the Anchor Steam of today is the same as the late 1800's, no way. But it is the same or similar to the Anchor Steam of the 1960's, this article says no. In 1969 Fritz Maytag tossed the sugars and food coloring being used and started using 100% malted grains, including crystal malts and brought in Northern Brewer hops...which were fairly new in England. So based on that, I would say the Anchor Steam of the 70's is pretty much the same as today. But now, I am craving an Anchor Steam and also realize it's been some time since I have brewed a Common.

Back