california common temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

augie21

Reaction score
Brewed a California Common a few days ago, using the Wyeast 2112. I was doing a good job of holding the temp at around 60 degrees, which is where I want it, but had to leave town for a few days. My roomie helped me out with keeping the water bath iced, but a heatwave came in and when i got home it was around 72 degrees. It was likely there for about 36 hours or so (bummer).

Not a whole lot I could do but to add ice to the waterbath and bring the temp down. Here's the question. The blowoff had some good activity going, but now that the temp is back down (currently around 62-64 degrees), the activity seems to have stopped. The drop in temp was pretty rapid and I'm not sure if I may have shocked the yeast into inactivity. Is this something that could happen?

I know this yeast has a temp range down to 58 degrees, so I may just be freaking out about nothing. Any insights?

i think you might be freaking out abut nothing, you said you brewed a couple of days ago so the yeast may have finished the really active stage of fermenting and now they are just clearing up the beer. the higher temp would lead to a more rapid fermentation and some more ester production than at 60F, IIRC. your gonna end up with beer, i say RDWHAHB.

its probably fine, if your gravity reading is where it's supposed to be after a couple of days I'd carry on like normal.

The bulk of your agressive fermentation and ester forulation is going to occur in your first 48-72 hours after you see fermentation activity. That is the most critical time for holding your ideal fermentation temperature. After this period a rise in temp may still throw some esters, just not as noticable. The further you are into fermentation, the less noticeable it will be. At worst it might add a bit of fruitiness to the finished product.

Yes, a very quick crash in fermentation temperature can cause a big group of the yeast to drop out. It is best to lower the temp gradually if possible. Check your gravity for two days in a row. If it is no longer dropping, and the gravity is higher than it is supposed to be than you might try rousing the yeast back up. You can rouse them by a slight temp increase, say to 64-65, and then lightly stir or swirl the carboy. If the gravity is still dropping then hold your current temperature and wait. You can give them a slight swirl or stir if they have slowed to a crawl but the gravity is still up, but it's easiest to just let them go if they are still dropping gravity points.

What do esters do to the beer? I started a Sierra Nevada Clone (WLP0001) and it has been at 74 for two days....I have just figured out that I will need to bathe my carboy during the summer months.

Sorry if this is hi-jacking.

Thank you Augie!! I hope I don't end up with solvent tasting beer.

That is a very informative page.

Latest posts

Back