California Common Extract Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scallion

Reaction score
Hello! I've brewed five gallon batches from Northern Brewer extract kits a few times, but I'm still a bit of a newbie. I recently started a batch of California Common from a NB extract kit, and I mis-timed the addition of the extract syrup into the wort, and I'm wondering how it will affect things. It's currently fermenting away happily in my carboy.

The kit came with two separate plastic jugs of 3.15 lb Gold Malt syrup, one which was to be added to the boil at 60 min, and the second to be added at 15 min. I neglected to notice there was a difference in the timing instruction and added them both at 60 min. The hops and everything else went in at the right times.

So my question is two-fold. First, how will this mistake affect the flavor of the beer as opposed to how it's supposed to be for the style? And second, chemically, what exactly is happening when you add it at the end as opposed to the beginning, and how/why does it affect flavor to do so? I'm familiar with the ways in which hops addition at the beginning vs the end affect flavor, but hadn't ever heard of adding the extract syrup at different times. Perhaps they're the part of same question. What can I expect? Does it change the OG?

Here's a link to the NB instructions for this kit if it helps:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/CaliforniaCommon.pdf

Shouldnt hit your flavor much if at all. Maybe some slight caramel flavor, but I doubt it. The extract will likely caramelize with the longer boil. The only real effect will be a darkening of your wort.

Shouldnt hit your flavor much if at all. Maybe some slight caramel flavor, but I doubt it. The extract will likely caramelize with the longer boil. The only real effect will be a darkening of your wort.

+1

This should have very little effect on your outcome. You will have beer

the big difference is going to be a slight drop in hop bitterness. Hop isomerization is reduced as the gravity of the wort raises so by boiling the bittering hops in a half strength wort you get more bittering from a given amount of hops. but the difference will be minor and it will still be beer in the end.

Back