California Common critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackbflyin

Reaction score
Just brewed a California common style beer. First batch brewed on Blichmanns Pilot 5 gal. Detailed notes because I’m just starting to use Blichmanns system and SS Unitank. I welcome any critique. I used RO water so additions are shown. Specific question is why did I get such a lower AFG 1.011 instead of EFG 1.016? I plan to leave at 63 degrees /14 psi fermentation 1 week after getting to FG then drop to 50 degrees and whatever pressure that gives me. Thoughts or recommendations? Should I use gelatin? (I have ability to add under pressure) Thanks for your input?
D18F37C9-2054-48CB-8497-250D75A94FC5.png

Specific question is why did I get such a lower AFG 1.011 instead of EFG 1.016?
Attenuation is very much impacted by the mash temperature & time, and yeast. Can you provide more details. From your notes, I think you started at 145 and raised to 152? How long did you hold it at 145? How long did it take to raise to 152? How long did you hold at 152? Did you do a mashout? What temperature? How long?

I think it was between 150 to 145 only five minutes. That’s the time that I stirred up the mash but then I got the rims on and I got up to 152 by the end of the 5 minutes. I then held it at 1:52 for one hour. The rims held it right at 1:52 so it was really nice.

I had a sparge issue which I resolved but as a result the sparge was delayed 5 minutes. Then the mash never got to 168° during the sparge but probably stayed more in the 155 area for an additional 10-15 minutes.

Despite 152 being near the peak of fermentability for single infusions (see chart below) as well as a max 75 minute mash, I do not think that these factors would explain your apparent attenuation of 82%, which is much higher than the 2112 range (67-71% per Wyeast). Furthermore, the crystal and especially the Carapils (dextrin malt) should have contributed to a higher actual FG.

How did you measure you FG - refractometer or hydrometer? Perhaps there was a measurement error?

If not measurement, unless someone else has another hypothesis, I would just chalk this one up overzealous yeast fairies.

1611594302480.png

I consider that it might be the SG measurement itself. However I discounted that because the original gravity of 1.064 is very close to the estimated 1.061. That measurement was done with a refractometer and confirmed with a hydrometer which also matched up to the Tilt when dropped into the fermenter after pitching yeast. The final gravity 1.011 was measured with that same hydrometer and close to what Tilt 1.010. The Tilt was and calibrated and was tested before use. I appreciate your input. Will chalk it up to the yeast fairies I guess. Something else I found interesting is that BruN water spreadsheet recommended I add 1.4 mL of lactic acid to get the 5.4 pH desired and said pH would be 5.53without the acid addition. However I found it was 5.4 pH without adding any lactic acid. I’m wondering if my local homebrew store substituted a grain. Oh well, practice and learn right!

I am just finishing up a fermentation of a modified version of MoreBeer’s Not So Common California Common Pale Ale and fermenting with 2112 @62F, simple airlock until near end, then spunding at 13psi for carbonation. I used a traditional German Hochkurz mash which includes a fairly lengthy beta amylase rest in the mid-140s then a highish alpha amylase rest at 160F. I don’t like sweet beers, so I was attempting to dry this out a bit. Looks like it’ll finish at 72% attenuation. Just a little higher than the max advertised attenuation. Tastes great. Definitely no infections to account for the high attenuation. Measurements taken with an EasyDens.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back