California Common California Common (Anchor Steam Clone) Extract and AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will this still be a good beer if I am unable to lager? I saw were ale yeasts were used, but I'd like to stick with the original yeast. I've got an area in my house that stays around 55-60 in the winter for primary fermentation, my garage stays around 50, but I can't get into the 30's for lagering without risking temps well below freezing. It looks like it can be lagered in the bottle? I'm also curious about the D-rest. Would a primary for 3 weeks at ~58, then bottle carb 3 weeks, then fridge for a lager for 3 weeks work? Do I need the lager period? How about the D-rest, that would be ~70 for a few days after primary is done right? Is it necessary? Lager noob here obviously.

Will this still be a good beer if I am unable to lager? I saw were ale yeasts were used, but I'd like to stick with the original yeast. I've got an area in my house that stays around 55-60 in the winter for primary fermentation, my garage stays around 50, but I can't get into the 30's for lagering without risking temps well below freezing. It looks like it can be lagered in the bottle? I'm also curious about the D-rest. Would a primary for 3 weeks at ~58, then bottle carb 3 weeks, then fridge for a lager for 3 weeks work? Do I need the lager period? How about the D-rest, that would be ~70 for a few days after primary is done right? Is it necessary? Lager noob here obviously.

I've needed a diacetyl rest a couple of times. If you need one, you could just bring your fermenter somewhere warm for 3 days or so. You could lager in the bottle if you have to.

Can you d rest in the bottle? After all, I bottle condition my ales at 70. Otherwise, I'll plan 3 weeks at 58, 3 days at 70, bottle for 3 weeks then fridge for 3 weeks before drinking. What's a good bottle condition/carbing temp for this beer?

Can you d rest in the bottle? After all, I bottle condition my ales at 70. Otherwise, I'll plan 3 weeks at 58, 3 days at 70, bottle for 3 weeks then fridge for 3 weeks before drinking. What's a good bottle condition/carbing temp for this beer?

No- you must do a diacetyl rest before racking when the yeast is active.

I kept the bottles at about 70 degrees to carb up.

I have a batch of this in the primary right now. I can only get my temps to 62, I hope its good. Thanks for the recipe Yooper.

As a native that drinks Anchor year round (just picked up the Christmas brew!), I am very excited to try this out! This will actually be my second brew and I will be going the extract + steeping grains route.

Few questions. I was planning on skipping a secondary and opting to try the primary only method for the entire fermentation period. Any qualms letting this hang in the primary for 3-4 weeks before bottling for 1-2 wks? Any harm in letting the brew hang for a while after hitting OG to let the yeast cake tighten a little more before going to bottling bucket?

Unfortunately my only option for fermentation temp is my basement which holds a pretty steady 66-68 amb temp.

Looking forward to heading to the LHBS friday for a sunday brew!

As a native that drinks Anchor year round (just picked up the Christmas brew!), I am very excited to try this out! This will actually be my second brew and I will be going the extract + steeping grains route.

Few questions. I was planning on skipping a secondary and opting to try the primary only method for the entire fermentation period. Any qualms letting this hang in the primary for 3-4 weeks before bottling for 1-2 wks? Any harm in letting the brew hang for a while after hitting OG to let the yeast cake tighten a little more before going to bottling bucket?

Unfortunately my only option for fermentation temp is my basement which holds a pretty steady 66-68 amb temp.

Looking forward to heading to the LHBS friday for a sunday brew!

I've had good luck with primary only with this beer. 66-68 is pretty warm, and if you get an active fermentation it can easily be 8-10 degrees warmer than that inside the fermenter. that's too warm for most ales, and especially a lager-like beer.

I'd definitely try to use a water bath and a few frozen water bottles. My preference is to ferment less than 62 degrees, but you can go a bit warmer.

The secondary was totally worth it. I racked to a keg 2 days ago and it was soooo clear, and the sample was fabulous! Lagering as we speak, can't wait to get a sample of it all carbed up. This is going to be my best beer yet, I could already tell by the sample at kegging.

Billy

Recipe: Anchor Steam Clone
Brewer: Lorena
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 9.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.9 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (30 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma HHops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs San Francisco Lager (White Labs #WLP810) [Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 11.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 13.75 qt of water at 170.1 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 7.70 qt of water at 198.5 F 168.0 F

For Extract/Steeping Grains
For a 2.5 gallon boil:
Change pale malt to 6 pounds light DME

1.75 oz NB hops at 60.
.75 oz NB hops at 30
.50 oz NB hops at flame-out.

Just an update, the beer turned out great!

I altered the recipe a bit and this is a must repeat.

Recipe:
1lb 2 Row
6.5 lbs light LME
.5lb caramel/crystal 60L
2oz. Northern Brewer
White Labs WLP810

Steeped the crushed grain at 155 for 45min.

Hops addition:
1oz at 60min
.5oz at 30min w/whirlfloc
.5oz at 5min

First time utilizing my recirculating wort chiller build and couldn't have worked out any better! Brought my boil down below 70 in 15minutes no problem.

I pitched room temp lager yeast- no starter.

I utilized a primary only ferment for 3 weeks at a San Francisco basement temp of 64degrees before transferring to bottling bucket.

The MOST interesting thing about this brew was the bottle conditioning. Seriously it is amazing how much of a difference a few weeks make. The flavor was extremely green, as expected, on bottling day. However, trying the beer one week in the brew had a really really bad case of rhino farts. The taste was markedly better, still not there, but I was disappointed with the smell.

Fast forward to two weeks of bottle conditioning around 68-70 degrees and agitating sediment 1-2x a week. Smell is GONE and I couldn't be any happier. The taste was clean, crisp with that really familiar Steam beer backing ( I drink Anchor, in all variants, year round). Served to family/friends over Christmas dinner and everyone loved it.

Cheers!

384473_2539455920061_1063530043_32594117_1828183804_n.jpg

brew.jpg

I've had good luck with primary only with this beer. 66-68 is pretty warm, and if you get an active fermentation it can easily be 8-10 degrees warmer than that inside the fermenter. that's too warm for most ales, and especially a lager-like beer.

I'd definitely try to use a water bath and a few frozen water bottles. My preference is to ferment less than 62 degrees, but you can go a bit warmer.

Thanks for the reply! I need to change my settings so that I see replies, never saw this unfortunately.

brewed this about two weeks ago, just took a reading and it tastes excellent! only change i made was to the hop schedule: i added at 60, 15, and 5, only because i toured the brewery earlier this year and i think this is what they said they did.

fermented at 55 for about 10 days, then brought temp up to about 60 for the past 5. sample tastes excellent, the hop bitterness is right on, and it is a little sweet, although i think this will go away after i keg and cold condition/carbonate for a few weeks (which i will do in after a few more days on the yeast to clean up and give an identical gravity reading).

being my second AG batch, my numbers were a bit different, probably because my thermometer was acting up that day. OG was 1.051, FG is looking like 1.009. weird to have some sweetness at such a low FG....

anyways, main point is that this is looking like its going to be an awesome brew! thanks for the recipe!

Just brewed this up tonight, partial mash style! The hydro sample was pretty darn good. I made one heck of a starter, so hoping for the best.

Brewed all grain version today and it went well. I inadvertently mashed high at 158F and overshot the OG a bit at 1.054, but smells great and I'm looking forward to it being ready.

I'm brewing this one to celebrate finalizing the adoption of my 5 year old daughter in March. She was my official assistant brewer today and I have dubbed it "Punky Steam BREWster".

My wife and I really enjoy Anchor Steam and I'm excited to see how my first steam beer turns out to taste how it compares.

image-2942542157.jpg

image-4140724324.jpg

image-3856334990.jpg

So, i have a question or two. Long time reader, first time poster! So, i made this recipe the all grain route, with a batch sparge. My OG was 1.053 @70 and that's where I pitched my 2112 WYEAST. I fermented at 55 for 7 days, it was seeming done bubbling so i moved it to ~62 degrees and it started back up, checked grav at 8 days and it was 1.018 and now it has been 11 days and my gravity is still 1.018. I'm still getting one bubble every 30 seconds or so, should I wait for it to get to 1.012 or do you think this is the end of fermentation? I would like to free up my bucket and get this into secondary.

Thanks for any advice, James.

So, i have a question or two. Long time reader, first time poster! So, i made this recipe the all grain route, with a batch sparge. My OG was 1.053 @70 and that's where I pitched my 2112 WYEAST. I fermented at 55 for 7 days, it was seeming done bubbling so i moved it to ~62 degrees and it started back up, checked grav at 8 days and it was 1.018 and now it has been 11 days and my gravity is still 1.018. I'm still getting one bubble every 30 seconds or so, should I wait for it to get to 1.012 or do you think this is the end of fermentation? I would like to free up my bucket and get this into secondary.

Thanks for any advice, James.

If it's still at 1.018, I would call it done.

Made this as the extract version with 2x Wyeast starter 2112 and was amazed by the end product in the keg. Going to reproduce the product as an all grain this time. Great recipe!

Made this as the extract version with 2x Wyeast starter 2112 and was amazed by the end product in the keg. Going to reproduce the product as an all grain this time. Great recipe!

I drank an Anchor Steam last night and I think I need to make it again too- especially after reading what you said!

Brewing this for the second time tonight but with crystal 40 just to mix it up. It turned out great the first time and two of us cashed a keg in under two weeks. Hoping the slightly lighter version will be even more chug-able for the soon coming warmer weather.

How hot have you guys fermented this? I was able to keep it around 58-60 last time but its getting a little bit warmer in my bedroom where I ferment.

I need to go buy a six pack of Anchor Steam to compare to the one I brewed. I just bottled this about 10 days ago, and I tried one for SNG's. It's pretty good, but has a little ways to go obviously. I've been drinking a lot of a citra pale ale lately, so the northern brewer hops is definitely a pleasant change for me right now. I want to say that it almost has a minty taste to it...almost. Maybe it's more of a pseudo-minty taste. It's good though. I can't wait until it's properly conditioned.

Brewing this for the second time tonight but with crystal 40 just to mix it up. It turned out great the first time and two of us cashed a keg in under two weeks. Hoping the slightly lighter version will be even more chug-able for the soon coming warmer weather.

How hot have you guys fermented this? I was able to keep it around 58-60 last time but its getting a little bit warmer in my bedroom where I ferment.

Pre ferm-fridge I had this at a room temp of around 66 and it turned out just fine. Not quite sure how warm you are talking about.

SanFranBrewer said:
Pre ferm-fridge I had this at a room temp of around 66 and it turned out just fine. Not quite sure how warm you are talking about.

When I woke up this morning it was bubbling away and sitting around 66. The other carboys that are just cleaning up/secondary are 63, so I hope it doesn't get too much warmer in there. Thanks for the reassurance though.

Yeah I wouldn't worry if I were you, a CA Common strain has a workable range up to 68, and that is as specified by the yeast producer. Word to the wise, once bottled, anything under 2 weeks of aging will have a terrible smell. Don't be alarmed if you try a 1 week old bottle and get a strong sulfur smell.

Ended up dropping down to 60 after 3 days. I think I should have gone colder first and then raised temp slowly after a day or so. Guess we'll see how it turns out.

Sorry about that . Anyway me and a couple of friends brewed a 10 gallon batch of this yesterday. Everything went perfect had a good mash in at 158 degrees for an hour and didnt loose a degree , then had a perfect sparge to bring us to 12 preboil. Preboil wort gravity was 1.030. Post boil we had an OG of 1.050 so right were we need to be and racked to our fermenting keg were we pitched the yeast in the mid 80's. Good brew day with some good homebrews (lefthand milk stout clone, imperial IPA, and some good samual smiths lager) awsome I can't wait to have this beer on tap at our poker night!

Bitsbrew, did you actually make a comment? You missed the close-quote tag, so I can't tell. Please edit and correct :mug:

Want to make this tonight and I have a question. How long after pitching this yeast, how fast should it get to the 55 degree mark? Directions I have from my Homebrew store makes it seem like I wait for 24-36 hours then get it down to the 62-70 degree mark.

My Brown Ale I have, I waited 12 hours (same kind of directions) before getting it to 63 to allow for fermentaion to start well, but this was month or two ago and room temp was a bit lower than it is now. Just wondering if this is where my off taste is coming from in the Brown Ale and not wanting it in the Anchor beer.

Thanks

Want to make this tonight and I have a question. How long after pitching this yeast, how fast should it get to the 55 degree mark? Directions I have from my Homebrew store makes it seem like I wait for 24-36 hours then get it down to the 62-70 degree mark.

My Brown Ale I have, I waited 12 hours (same kind of directions) before getting it to 63 to allow for fermentaion to start well, but this was month or two ago and room temp was a bit lower than it is now. Just wondering if this is where my off taste is coming from in the Brown Ale and not wanting it in the Anchor beer.

Thanks

I fermented it at 55 degrees. I always pitch at or below fermentation temperature, using an appropriate sized starter, and let the beer rise to the proper fermentation temperature. I never pitch warm and then reduce the temperature.

So after transferring the wort from boiling pot to fermentation bucket I will get it down to the 62-70 degrees range then pitch the yeast in and then get it to the 55 degree mark?

So after transferring the wort from boiling pot to fermentation bucket I will get it down to the 62-70 degrees range then pitch the yeast in and then get it to the 55 degree mark?

That's possible, I guess. But it's not easy to cool that much wort down to 55 degrees, if that's where you want to ferment. I cool the wort, and then add the appropriate amount of yeast (usually about a 3 liter starter) into the wort.

My ingredients:
Pilsen Light Malt Extract
Muntons Crystal 60 16 oz
NB .5 oz flavor and aroma
Warrior for bittereing
Safale US-05 (11.5g) dry yeast

I will hold off on this a day or two so I can get a second pack of yeast now or maybe even change it out. Will the Warrior be best to use in another recipe and get more NB or should it hold out fine?

My ingredients:
Pilsen Light Malt Extract
Muntons Crystal 60 16 oz
NB .5 oz flavor and aroma
Warrior for bittereing
Safale US-05 (11.5g) dry yeast

I will hold off on this a day or two so I can get a second pack of yeast now or maybe even change it out. Will the Warrior be best to use in another recipe and get more NB or should it hold out fine?

If you're using S05, no need to wait for more yeast. But be advised that the key to a really good CC is the lager yeast fermented at above lager yeast temperatures, and only a certain strain of lager yeast at that. Otherwise, it's just a plain 'ole amber-ish beer.

Warrior would be fine for bittering, I think.

I did not notice that about the yeast until just now. Not only was i given the wrong yeast, I was also short on the NB. I am glad I slowed down a bit and not rushed through it or I may not have been to happy with the outcome compared to the Anchor I have in the fridge. Emailing the HB shop now asking about the 34/70 I ordered.

Thanks

Homebrew store will replace the missing hops and will the 34/70 lager dry yeast. NVM... upgraded to the correct liquid yeast.

Edited due to dropping iphone.

Going to try to brew a cal common very soon. Spring time in NE and the temps only just dropped back to what should be normal for this time of year (had a warm winter and almost summer-like temps in April). This should mean my unfinished, not insulated basement should be able to keep the temp around 60-62, especially if I have the carboy on the cement floor. I don't have a fridge for fermenting at lager temps, so I did an altbier at 60°*this winter (using a fermwrap and temp control). I don't keg, so I had to bottle, carb up, and then lager the bottles. The alt came out fantastic, and very clear. Loved that Wyeast German Ale yeast (sludge at the bottom of my bottles allowed me to pour all the beer, unlike when I use Cal Ale yeast).

So, while the basement temps are cool, I'm going to try the Cal Common recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. Jamil Z says to brew something closer to Anchor Steam we should remove the Munich, Vicotry, and small amount of pale chocolate form the grist, but I'm thinking I'll just go with JZ's recipe. Loaded up on Northern Brewer hops (as it's one of the hops used commonly in the recipes I like, along with the typical Centennial and Cascade).

Will try to mash low (149-150) to dry it out a bit.

I have pretty soft water, and have found that my hop bitterness isn't as present or firm as it should be. Recently tried some gypsum in the boil for a hoppy amber (Tasty McDole's Amber recipe) and will likely do the same for this one. The only negative about my altbier was that it was supposed to be a Dusseldorf Alt, but the lack of hop firmness put it a bit more in the Northern Germany alt style, I think.

Made this tonight. I added .5 oz more of NB hops at 5 mins in addition to the .5 at flameout for a bit more aroma.

It's already bubbling away thanks to my new aeration kit. Cannot wait till its done!

Made this 5 weeks ago and while the taste is great it lacks the crispness that I expected and mine seems to have more of a creamy, thicker mouthfeel than expected. My question is will this beer continue to get crisp as it cold conditions?

For reference: I hit OG and FG perfectly,
fermented at 58 degrees and at 1.020 did a D rest until complete, moved back and let sit two weeks at 55 degrees, then added gelatin and cold crashed 48 hours, bottled and carbed up for three weeks, and has only been in the fridge 48 hours since carbed.

Is the lack of cold time since carbonation have anything to do with it? I've only brewed ales and it's the first time I've used this strain, I just expected it to be more crisp, for I've gotten crisper results with WLP001 fermented at 62.

Back