calibrating anvil scale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffystump76

Reaction score
I am trying to calibrate my scale, been reading the manual and if I am reading this right it requires a 50 lb weight for calibration. that seems awfully high. Anybody else use this scale? here is link with manual. Large Grain Scale

You should be able to calibrate it with any reference weight within the scale's range, preferably a weight that's close to what you would typically use the scale for.

ETA: This assumes the scale allows manual calibration. If it's automatic, you'd need to use the weight they specify.

You didn't believe the part in the manual where is says that the scale was professionally factory calibrated before shipment?

According to the manual it says the scale will show you what the required calibration weight is to be. Not having one, I can only imagine that it must be the 50.00 that is shown to you by the LCD. But whether that is 50.00 lbs or 50.00 kg or 50.00 g or 50.00 ounces I wouldn't know. Maybe it depends on what measurement you have selected.

I don't think I'd fear putting a 50 lb weight on a scale that has a 65 lb limit. Hopefully it has over limit protection.

What's the typical amount you're weighing?
How close does it have to be?

For example:
Say, you need 20# of base malt. Even if the (big) scale is off by 5% (that would be a lot to be off, to be honest), your error would only be one pound.

To "calibrate" you could weigh 5# of grain on a scale that's known to be (more) precise. Weigh out that same amount 4 times (20# in total) and put them all together on your big scale. What's it read? That tells you the measuring error on 20#. Make a note of it, so you can compensate next time.

I threw a variety of known weights on mine when I first got it. When I take it out to use, I routinely take pakaged products, like bags of sugar, flour or whatever as well as smaller things like a baggie of cinnamon..etc.. and check it. Has always been dead-on.

If you are actually re-calibrating, yes you need to add what the unit is expecting, (ie. 50lbs.) If you are just checking it you can use any known weight to to make sure it weight correctly. Most scales are best spanned (calibrated) with 75-100% of scale capacity (there are exceptions) but can be checked with any known value.
If it asks for #50 and you put #40 during calibration it will think that #40 is #50. The scale doesn't know the difference, it's just looking for the millivolt signal from the load cell that it thinks was #50 and will display accordingly abet inaccurately.
Lower cost scales kinda suck that way, it would be better if you could input a value that you had a known weight of, but it would to cost a little more to do so.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

You didn't believe the part in the manual where is says that the scale was professionally factory calibrated before shipment?

According to the manual it says the scale will show you what the required calibration weight is to be. Not having one, I can only imagine that it must be the 50.00 that is shown to you by the LCD. But whether that is 50.00 lbs or 50.00 kg or 50.00 g or 50.00 ounces I wouldn't know. Maybe it depends on what measurement you have selected.

I don't think I'd fear putting a 50 lb weight on a scale that has a 65 lb limit. Hopefully it has over limit protection.
its not calibrated I checked

How did you check calibration? Are you POSITIVE you just didn't hit tare? It appears to need a calibration weight of 50 pounds.. I'd contact anvil.... you aren't going to buy a real 50 pound calibration weight cheap. And it would be a one time use.....

How did you check calibration? Are you POSITIVE you just didn't hit tare? It appears to need a calibration weight of 50 pounds.. I'd contact anvil.... you aren't going to buy a real 50 pound calibration weight cheap. And it would be a one time use.....
I've put labeled weight on the scale and it comes up short. thinking about using a 50lb bag of dextrose to calibrate.

I've put labeled weight on the scale and it comes up short. thinking about using a 50lb bag of dextrose to calibrate.

Assuming the 50lb bag of dextrose actually contains exactly 50 lbs (I wouldn't count on it), the weight of the bag itself would throw the calibration off. But maybe it would be close enough.

Have you tried getting a bag of dextrose to stand up without any other support on a footprint the size of your scale? It sounds tricky, but maybe it's possible.

ETA: Everyone should check their scales periodically. A couple years ago, I was hanging out with a local pro brewer when he mentioned that his mash efficiencies had significantly increased recently, even though he hadn't changed the process. So I went home, got a couple of reference weights, and returned. You can guess the rest.

Last edited:
Yeah, I found this thread because I just overflowed a keg because my Anvil scale read 35lbs when it was completely full.
Took it to a second scale in another part of the house and it turned out to be 51lbs.
Doh!

Just like backing up my brewing records, verifying scales is something I know  I should do, but never seem to actually do it.

The 5gal plastic pails I use weigh a shade over 2lbs each.

Water is 8.34lb/gal (or thereabouts).

I presume we all have a way to measure out gallons with reasonable accuracy.

It's not a lab grade or commerce grade cal standard, but it is easy enough way to see if the scale passes a "red face" test.

Back