Calculating the gravity contribution of other ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonshae

Reaction score
Is there a way to calculate the contribution to your gravity reading of other ingredients, such as ginger root? Is it as simple as looking at a carbohydrate listing for fresh ginger and calculating by amount from there?

On a similar but different note, is there a way to know (beyond tasting after the batch is ready) if these other ingredients can help to protect the flavor against the problems associated with too much added sugar?

question 1: ginger root is not going to affect your gravity in a significant way. if you were adding something like fruit juice or nectar of some fruit/plant, then you might be able to find some info online...or, take a hydrometer reading of said liquid.

2. not really. I suggest never adding plain sugar/dextrose to any beer, unless the style calls for it (i.e. Beligan beers that use candi sugar, or limited use if things like brown sugar, which I'd keep around a half pound...definitely not more than 1 pound)

Latest posts

Back