Quantcast

Calculating the gravity contribution of other ingredients

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Moonshae

Reaction score
Is there a way to calculate the contribution to your gravity reading of other ingredients, such as ginger root? Is it as simple as looking at a carbohydrate listing for fresh ginger and calculating by amount from there?

On a similar but different note, is there a way to know (beyond tasting after the batch is ready) if these other ingredients can help to protect the flavor against the problems associated with too much added sugar?

malkore

Reaction score
question 1: ginger root is not going to affect your gravity in a significant way. if you were adding something like fruit juice or nectar of some fruit/plant, then you might be able to find some info online...or, take a hydrometer reading of said liquid.

2. not really. I suggest never adding plain sugar/dextrose to any beer, unless the style calls for it (i.e. Beligan beers that use candi sugar, or limited use if things like brown sugar, which I'd keep around a half pound...definitely not more than 1 pound)

AFAJ Brew Guy

Reaction score
In another thread, this site was posted. I just checked it out and looks like it might help you find what you are looking for. Sorry I cant remember who posted it, but thanks! :)

Anyway site is: http://www.beercalculus.com/

Good luck and happy brewing!