Calculating co2 for bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crosshatch

Reaction score
Does anyone have a tried and true method of how to figure up how much priming sugar to use when bottling? I did a test yesterday and tried 6 or 7 different online co2 calculators. Every single one gave me a different amount to use, from 4.5 ounces up to almost 7ounces. I am bottling a Wit (temp around 68-70 degrees). Normally I pretty much always just go with a standard 5 oz for a 5 gallon batch. But I am entering this into a competition and would like to make sure I am within the BJCP expectations for carbonation on a Wit.

And hey, this is my first post as a new subscribed member. Woot! :ban:

Our tried and true method ended up being trial and error for each style haha. That's not really an option for you since you'll be entering this into a competition and don't have the time.

Witbier traditionally has high carbonation. I'd shoot for 2.5-2.6 volumes of CO2. That being said I've had luck with about 4oz of table/corn sugar per 5 gallons.

Cheers and good luck!

Many thanks! I thought the FG reading would come into play when adding sugar, but all the calculators only refer to temp.

I ended up using 5 oz of priming sugar. My temp was around 68 degrees and my FG was 1.008. Also found out that half of my brew in the competition is being judged in 2 weeks and the remaining half in 4 weeks. Not sure why the split, but hopefully I get enough carbonation in 2 weeks. I prefer 4-6 weeks before testing to let the flavors come together, but we'll see what happens.

Latest posts

Back