Calculating boil off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustinj

Reaction score
Would it be pretty accurate if I put 10 gal of just water in my keggle and boil for an hour to see where I end up?

Thanks

yep. Although my system seems to flocc with air temp, humidity, etc. You could just boil 6 gallons and see where you end up. I think boil off is pretty much a constant at any given volume.

True ^^ either way will work. Just don't waste 10 gallons of water for nothing.

Measuring this by the concentration of the sugar in wort (hydrometer or refractometer) at the beginning & end of the boil is an exact way to know your boiloff rate. You'd have to accurately know your pre-boil volume.

I'd do this with check with making a beer and estimating about 1 gal/hr boiloff for a rolling boil for planning purposes.

True ^^ either way will work. Just don't waste 10 gallons of water for nothing.

I thought I would do it right before my first batch so I could use what's left to mash with. Gonna be a heluva waste of propane though. I like the 15 minute idea.

Measuring this by the concentration of the sugar in wort (hydrometer or refractometer) at the beginning & end of the boil is an exact way to know your boiloff rate. You'd have to accurately know your pre-boil volume.

I'd do this with check with making a beer and estimating about 1 gal/hr boiloff for a rolling boil for planning purposes.

Wow.:drunk:

A gallon an hour is about right in most cases.

Factors can and will change. You could spend your time hand-wringing and figuring them out and driving yourself insane or you could go make some beer, take notes and learn from the experience.

Back